The company tells us its "critically acclaimed drama was also binged heavily with a record number of customers watching all six episodes on New Year’s Day".
Stan has pointed to top critic reviews, and shares some of the following quotes:
- “One of the most invigorating pieces of television you’ll see all year… utterly compelling.” Sydney Morning Herald / The Age.
- “Romper Stomper feels achingly real and relevant.” The Guardian
- “Five Stars.” Herald Sun
- “Romper Stomper reboot is a compelling investigation into Australia’s extremist politics.” ABC
- “…this is Australian television at its most essential.” The Brag
- “Romper Stomper is a well-crafted, ambitious and slick production. Its plays its tension well and the performances – especially Lachy Hulme’s monstrous white nationalist leader – are chillingly good… Stan should be commended for daring to put out something controversial.” News.com.au
- “This is a timely production that tackles difficult issues head on. 4 stars.” Screenhub
- “Don’t miss it.” Weekend Australian
"The six-part thriller brings the battle of opposing views into the modern-day context where hard right agitators have traded swastikas for the southern cross. Told from multiple points of view, Romper Stomper eerily echoes recent events and groups currently active in Melbourne and Australia. Set in the present day, it deals with political and social issues and highlights the shift of extremism from the fringe to the suburbs.
"The outstanding ensemble cast includes Lachy Hulme (Power Games: The Packer-Murdoch Story, Beaconsfield), David Wenham (Lion, Top of the Lake, Killing Time), Jacqueline McKenzie (The Water Diviner, Love Child, Romper Stomper), Dan Wyllie (Love My Way, Puberty Blues) Toby Wallace (Boys In The Trees), Lily Sullivan (Jungle, Galore, forthcoming Picnic at Hanging Rock), Sophie Lowe (The Beautiful Lie, The Slap), Nicole Chamoun (Kick, forthcoming Safe Harbour) and Julian Maroun (Janet King, Cleverman).
"Behind the scenes Geoffrey Wright (Romper Stomper, Metal Skin, Macbeth), Daina Reid (The Secret River, Never Tear Us Apart: The Untold Story of INXS, Howzat! Kerry Packer’s War), and New Zealander James Napier Robertson (The Dark Horse) each share directing duties.
"The 6 x 1 hour drama is written by Wright, Robertson, award-winning author/poet and rapper Omar Musa (Here Come the Dogs), and Walkley Award-winning journalist and author Malcolm Knox (Jamaica, The Life, The Wonder Lover).
"Romper Stomper is produced by multi award-wining veteran producer John Edwards (Love My Way, Puberty Blues, Paper Giants: The Birth of Cleo) and Dan Edwards for Roadshow Rough Diamond with major production investment from Stan and Screen Australia in association with Film Victoria, and international distribution by DCD Rights."
As you can expect, as an original Stan series, Romper Stomper is currently streaming exclusively on Stan.