The RT-AC5300 uses Broadcom NitroQAM technology that can deliver up to 5,334 Mbit/s.
- World’s fastest Wi-Fi: AC5300-class tri-band design
- Eight external antennas - 4x4 MIMO antenna array for outstanding multi-device performance and unbeatable wide coverage
- Built-in game accelerator powered by the Gamers Private Network from WTFast reduces ping and latency for virtually all competitive multi-player online games
- Tri-band Wi-Fi and Smart Connect allows more devices to connect
- Concurrent tri-band 1 x 2.4GHz (1000Mbps) and 2 x 5GHz (each 2167Mbps)
- Gigabit Ethernet WAN
- 4 port Gigabit LAN
- 1 x USB 2.0 and 1 x USB 3.0
- 1.4GHz dual core processor and 512MB RAM
- Firewall: SPI intrusion detection, DoS protection
- Access control: Parental controls, Network service filter, URL filter, Port filter
- Link Aggregation, Smart Connect, Traffic Analyser, Adaptive QoS, AiProtection, IPTV support, Parental Controls, Roaming Assist, Dual WAN
- VPN server: IPSec Pass-Through, PPTP Pass-Through, L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP Server, OpenVPN Server, VPN client : PPTP client, L2TP client, OpenVPN client
- Enhanced media server (AiPlayer app compatible)
- Image format: Jpeg
- Audio format: mp3, wma, wav, pcm, mp4, lpcm, ogg
- Video format: asf, avi, divx, mpeg, mpg, ts, vob, wmv, mkv, mov
- Mac OS Backup, supports iOS, Android, Mac, Windows and Linux
- 3G/4G USB dongle compatible
- Futuristically styled – look like an inverted spider!
- Weights 1.814Kg
The router sounds good and it is – iTWire will be doing a full review soon.
You should be excited as this uses three bands and eight antennas for maximum coverage and beam forming – more bandwidth to more devices. To use an analogy, it has a very large V8 under the bonnet.
The competition is Multi-user MIMO (MU-MIMO) that is like the V8 but in fact it has 2 x V4s that can work independently or together. The only issue is that at present very few devices support MU-MIMO so Tri-band is the go.
But the same issues happen here - this router will be as fast as other Tri-band AC3200 brands unless your device has Wi-Fi capabilities that supports the 1024QAM that gives 1000Mbps boost.
To be confirmed but expect it to around $600. ASUS sells via major retailers and local computer stores.