The Community and Public Sector Union said in a statement on Wednesday that it been notified of the cuts, which would be partially offset by the creation of 347 new jobs.
This is the second mass cut since the June announcement, with 1100 jobs being cut in August last year.
CPSU deputy national president Brooke Muscat-Bentley said: “This is disturbing news for Telstra workers and customers alike. Telstra is pushing on with its self-destructive and short-sighted plan to slash a quarter of its workforce, ignoring the harm that will cause to staff and Telstra services.
In June last year, Telstra chief executive Andy Penn said the company would effect a net reduction of 8000 employees and contractors by 2022 and reduce two to four layers of management, leading to the cutting of one in four executive and middle management roles.
“Sadly we believe this is just the start for the jobs apocalypse planned by Telstra management. Clearly sacking one in four workers isn’t going to help with faltering customer satisfaction in Telstra’s services," Muscat-Bentley said.
“Telstra isn’t treating those workers who will remain any better, with the telco continuing to stand in the way of union efforts to negotiate a fair and decent enterprise agreement. Of particular concern is Telstra’s continuing refusal to agree to provide a dignified redundancy process, and that the company is still pushing what’s an effective wage cut on staff.
“The only way for Telstra to halt its sad decline is for the company to recognise that its workforce is the company’s best asset. Industrial action is a possibility as we explore ways to make Telstra management see sense.”