Telstra has partnered with Netgear and Broadcom to create the Telstra Gateway Pro, which the company said is ‘designed to keep more devices connected in our office at greater speeds than before.’
The Gateway Pro is really Netgear’s new V7610 VDSL Wave 2 WiFi Gateway, which Netgear said is designed to ‘deliver business-class voice, fast Internet and extended WiFi coverage to small business customers as they move to Australia’s high-speed National Broadband Network.’
Small businesses with the Gateway Pro are also designed to deliver ‘uninterrupted streaming of HD video, voice over Internet-protocol (VoIP) for Internet-connected telephones, and high-availability multi-user Internet.’
Using Broadcoms 4366 chipset, all three companies boast that ‘it is the world’s first 4x4 802.11ac VDSL Gateway using the 4366 chipset to come to market.’
Telstra’s Director of Devices, Andrew Volard said: “We know fast, strong and reliable WiFi is becoming more important than ever for our business customers as they adopt tablets and untethered work practices.
“The Telstra Gateway Pro is our fastest WiFi gateway yet, offering real-world speeds up to six times faster than our previous business gateway. It also has our best-ever in-building coverage performance thanks to the combination of world-first Broadcom chipset, AC WiFi and 4x4 antenna technology.”
At Telstra’s Exchange blog, Volard posted an article that looked at the new Gateway Pro, and asked the question: ‘how much better is the coverage?’.
The answer is that Telstra ‘tested the Gateway Pro to see exactly what kind of coverage improvements you can expect in your business.’ Referring to heat maps, which we’ve embedded below, Telstra first shows the ‘typical small office coverage’ you can expect from the existing ‘Telstra Premium Gateway.’
The second image below ‘shows the increased coverage and performance achievable under the same conditions for a Telstra Gateway Pro.’
Rotate your screen horizontally if the image is cut off in vertical viewing:
Plenty more below, please read on!
David Henry, Netgear’s Senior VP of Home Networking said: “We are delighted that Telstra has again selected NETGEAR to co-develop an industry-first gateway product for their subscribers.
“The Telstra Gateway Pro is a complete triple-play service delivery platform. Telstra customers will now benefit from the newest and fastest WiFi with greatly improved simultaneous streaming within LANs, combined with flexible WAN connection options, and superior VPN security for remote workers or offices.”
Available now for Telstra’s ADSL, VSDL, NBN and DOT customers, you can find out more information at Telstra here.
Key Technical Specifications of the Telstra Gateway Pro:
- A powerful dual-core 1GHz processor delivers lower latencies and 802.11ac Wi-Fi speeds up to an 'amazing' 2.8Gbps* (600Mbps + 2166Mbps) of throughput.
(To explain this 2.8GBps statement, the *asterisk above refers to the following statement:
- Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE standard 802.11 specifications. AC2800 equals 600Mbps + 2166Mbps. Performance Mode requires 1024 QAM support on WiFi client for 5GHz. Up to 600/2166Mbps wireless speeds possible when connecting to other 600 @2.4GHz/ 2166 @5GHz 802.11ac Mbps devices. Actual data throughput and wireless coverage will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput rate and wireless coverage.
Other specs are as follows:
- Next-generation Wave 2 WiFi technology supports parallel data streams in the 802.11ac WiFi band, which maximizes connection speeds for smoother streaming with greater clarity and less buffering.
- MU-MIMO technology delivers data to multiple devices simultaneously, providing major bandwidth improvement in next-generation mobile devices.
- Integrated FXS ports and CAT-iq 2.0 support SIP-based VoIP connections.
- A Gigabit Ethernet WAN port is compatible with any Internet service so it offers a future-ready upgrade to fiber/cable options.
- An integrated VPN server enables multiple VPN clients for secure connections for remote users or remote office locations.
- 2 USB 3.0 ports support USB attached devices such as storage or a USB modem for advanced 4G LTE mobile broadband connectivity.
Telstra also issued the following disclaimer regarding testing:
“Testing was conducted in an inner city Melbourne location. Both the DEVG2020 and the 7610 Gateways were setup as default Telstra installs. Testing was conducted over an hour for each gateway at the times indicated. Multiple tests were conducted around the test location to measure both speed and coverage.
“Actual Wi-Fi performance depends on many factors including interference, device type and distance between the gateway and devices. To enjoy fast speeds, AC compatible devices need to be on the 5GHz band.”
Here’s what the rear of the Telstra Gateway Pro looks like: