Spark managing director Simon Moutter told the annual general meeting on Friday that his company had no objection to considering Huawei Technologies as a supplier, MSN reported.
Australia announced in August that both Huawei and ZTE Corporation would not be allowed to participate in the rollout of 5G networks. The US has done likewise.
But last week, reports said Canada would not be following the US lead, despite pressure from two US politicians.
Moutter told the AGM: "We would hope that our government would not preclude them [Huawei] from being considered without incontrovertible evidence their technology presents security risks that the comprehensive security management tools we employ in our networks cannot mitigate.
"Although we have yet to make decisions on our 5G technology partners, based on their track record with us, we see no reason why Huawei should not be among the vendors we consider inviting to the process."
Huawei was involved with Spark in both the 3G and 4G networks.
Moutter said the government should announce its 5G policy so that the necessary spectrum could be allocated.
"I can't stress this enough. The policy settings created by government are fundamental to the performance of our sector and to the transformative impacts it can have on New Zealand's social and economic progress," he said.