Following release of its Broadband Index, as reported by iTWire, and keen to keep up a barrage of positive news about the NBN rollout in the face of, at times, criticism of its performance and questioning of the mix of technology underpinning the network, NBN Co said on Tuesday that around a quarter of a million premises are also now activated via FTTN.
And, according to NBN Co, if you include the figures from its Fibre-to-the-Building (FttB) deployment, then it has a total of 854,000 premises ready for service across FttN and FttB combined.
NBN Co launched its first commercial FttN services in Belmont, NSW, followed by Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania, and the company reported on Tuesday that over the last three months it has made more than 100,000 FttN premises ready for service every month.
In this latest statement, NBN Co says that FttN will play a “crucial role” in the deployment of the network with the latest corporate plan showing that the Fttx technologies — including Fibre to the Node, Fibre to the Building and Fibre to the Distribution Point — could serve as many as 6.4 million premises on the NBN, representing up to 54% of all premises covered by the network.
Peter Ryan, chief network engineering officer, said, “We are delighted with the progress that we have made in the first year of our FttN deployment”.
“To have nearly 750,000 premises ready for service is an outstanding achievement and is a testament to the huge effort made by our team.
“We knew that FttN would help us get the NBN deployed much faster and get people connected sooner and with far less inconvenience – and that is exactly what is happening.
“There is still a long way to go but our great first year with FttN gives us confidence that we can complete our mission of connecting eight million homes and businesses by 2020.”
Commenting on NBN Co’s progress report on the rollout of FttN, Internet Australia CEO Laurie Patton said that while it is commendable that nbn is meeting its targets, “it is nonetheless rolling out an inferior copper-based network that will need to be replaced in 10-15 years’ time, if not sooner”.
“What’s more, the fact that only a third of homes ‘passed’ have actually been connected confirms the view expressed by the Minister last week that their wholesale charging mechanism needs to be reviewed.
“Their resellers simply aren’t being sufficiently incentivised to move their ADSL customers over to the NBN.”