Morrow (below, right) told a parliamentary committee on Friday that, "some of the issues only recently came to light as we loaded up the network with more customers... it was important to me that we act immediately."
He made no mention of the fact that in November 2015 leaked documents had identified noise ingress on HFC as the cause of interference and degradation in end-user speeds. The same months, a leak indicated that NBN Co would abandon the Optus HFC network.
While Morrow denied this was being considered in February 2016, seven months later the company did a backflip and dropped the Optus HFC network from its plans.
He said it was within the capabilities of NBN Co to fix the problems with the HFC network. Contingency funds had been set aside to deal with such issues, he added.
Morrow also said that a total of 1500 micro-nodes — what he described as compact DSLAMS that would improve the connections for fibre-to-the-node customers — had now been activated and could support about 43,000 premises.
The NBN Co's efforts to improve the understanding of retail service providers in the value chain had resulted in the average CVC provision per end-user increasing by about 10% in the last three months, he claimed.
NBN Co announced on 27 November, saying that households and businesses would have to wait between six and nine months longer for HFC connections while the company fixed technical issues affecting the speed that the network can deliver.