The company building the network also touts the fact that in the last three months alone, it has made it possible for customers living and working in more than 500,000 premises throughout Australia to order an NBN service via their preferred service provider, exceeding its corporate plan 2020-23 and FY20 build target.
NBN Co said in a statement on Monday that during the three months to 30 June 2020, approximately 375,000 Australian homes and businesses have connected to the NBN, and the company “continues to activate around 30,000 additional premises every week”.
“More than 1.7 million additional premises have connected to the NBN in the last 12 months and by 30 June 2020, more than 7.26 million premises were connected to the NBN.”
NBN Co Chief Executive Officer, Stephen Rue, said: “Throughout the COVID pandemic Australians have relied on the NBN to work, study, shop online, stream entertainment and stay connected to family and friends like never before, so we take very seriously our commitment and obligation as a truly national broadband infrastructure provider.”
“We are very proud of our achievements, particularly over the last six months in a year that no-one could have predicted. We have completed some our most complex builds and overcome the myriad challenges imposed by the COVID pandemic and the catastrophic bushfires that affected so much of New South Wales, ACT, Victoria and South Australia to keep Australia connected to high-speed, secure and reliable broadband,” Rue said.
“We have exceeded our targets for the build and, more importantly, the network has performed extremely well, exceeding many people’s expectations. We have provided up to 40% additional capacity between March and 19 August 2020 at no additional cost to Internet retailers and offered a $150 million financial relief package to support home schooling, small business and residential customers under financial duress.
“To maintain continuity of network service as more people have worked and studied from home, we have deferred some planned outages for scheduled maintenance. We will continue to invest in the network and upgrade capacity over time to meet customers’ future demands,” Rue said.
Rue said NBN Co continues to complete detailed design work, seek the necessary regulatory approvals and undertake construction work to deliver NBN access to difficult to reach locations, heritage and culturally significant sites - and the company will also continue to expand the footprint of the network to new greenfield residential and business development premises over time.
Rue notes that NBN previously estimated that around 100,000 premises would be delivered after 30 June 2020 for a variety of reasons, including the connection of premises in new development sites, completing construction works in difficult to access locations and at heritage and culturally significant sites.
NBN Co says it has “successfully delivered against this estimate”, with approximately 109,000 premises in total across Australia to be made ready to connect after 30 June 2020, of which 80% are forecast to be ready to connect this calendar year.
“NBN Co encourages customers whose premises have not yet been made ready to connect to visit nbnco.com.au and enter their residential or business address for the latest information on network availability,” the company said.
As reported by iTWire on Monday, an academic, who was part of the advisory panel for the NBN for the Labor Party, says Australia is now in a diabolical position as far as its broadband network goes, despite all the self-congratulatory rhetoric about how the network has been delivered on time.