The news of Motorola's updates for the x4 z, z Play, z2 Play, G5, G5 Plus, G5S, G5S Plus and G4 was announced back in February, as faithfully reported at the time by iTWire, but it turns out the news wasn't entirely accurate.
The news was picked up by an XDA Forums user, "csfrank271" in a post entitled "Android 8.0 Oreo Update". This post generated four pages of commentary, with the second last user "M1810" on page four astutely stating: "There is no Oreo update in Australia or New Zealand, it was fake news."
Well, whether that's entirely true is not known by me, but the fact any of it was untrue was unknown by your humble scribe until today's new, real and non-fake news, as confirmed by one of Motorola's PR people, who rang me today advising the update was out, and confirming for the first time that February's update was sent in error – these things happen sometimes!
So, Motorola states that "following the announcements earlier this year on the rollout of Android™ 8.0.0 Oreo OS update in Australia on the moto x4, Motorola continues to support the latest Android operating system to include the suite of products in the moto z family".
"These updates promise to further accentuate the consumer experience and amplify noteworthy features making the device smarter, faster and more powerful.
"The latest Android 8.0.0 Oreo does not disappoint, packed with many enhancements, including new multitasking features, security capabilities, improved notifications and performance."
Some of the changes included in this 1.1GB update are:
- The ability to autofill your logins to favourite apps.
- Faster speeds, longer battery life and smart text selection.
- Picture-in-picture gives you a floating window letting you do more at the same time.
- Notification dots on your apps to alert you of something new.
- Google Play protect to keep you safe from malicious apps.
- Further improved battery life.
- New emojis – one can express themselves in very many new ways through a fully redesigned Emoji set which includes more than 60 new emojis.
Not stopping there, Motorola states "the update is not limited to the above, the Android 8.0.0 Oreo will additionally update your moto z handset with the following":
- Camera improvements: improved performance and capture speed for photos with depth information.
- System storage: reduction of storage used by system files by up to 2GB.
- Stability improvements: includes changes that fix bugs and improve the stability of your phone.
The Motorola handsets now supporting the Android 8.0.0 Oreo update include:
- moto x4
- moto z
- moto z Play
- moto z2 Play
Motorola advises that "consumers are advised to back up their important data and ensure the phone has sufficient battery before initiating the update. Also, as it’s a large update, avoid using mobile networks," and "in case of stability issues arising due to legacy app data, a factory reset would help get optimal device performance".