One of those affected, former Age technology journalist Nathan Cochrane, told iTWire that he had been experiencing this situation "every day this week". Update.
"[It] starts early (8:10am today) and goes for most of day," said Cochrane, a former resident of Melbourne. "It was nearly 6pm yesterday before it came back on. Telstra either doesn’t know what’s the problem or isn’t saying."
He said looking at the network outage page on Telstra's site was of little use. "The outage page blames NBN works. They can’t get a tech to me before next Tuesday/Wednesday."
"I just got off the phone to Telstra tech support. They said 221 properties are affected in my area (I believe that, based on random addresses I pumped into the Telstra outage page). The call centre agent called it an 'unplanned outage'."
Cochrane said tech support had offered him 10GB of free mobile data to tide him over until the problem was fixed. "And he is assigning a complaint case manager," he added. "I told him I’m going to the TIO [Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman]."
The Telstra tech support agent and Twitter social team were blaming NBN Co "because they’re doing something in the area as part of [former Prime Minister Malcolm] Turnbull’s multi-tech mix".
Cochrane said the social team's stance was: “If the issue lies in the NBN maintained part of the network, Telstra would not get technical information about the outage, but it should be listed on here tel.st/4drrb with any estimate timeframes supplied by NBN".
"This is news to me," he said. "A Telstra technician did the fresh install of cable at my address last year when we moved in. NBN Co hasn’t communicated with me in this time."
Telstra was unable to give an ETA of when his service would be restored.
"This experience reveals the absence of any co-ordination between Telstra and NBN Co, a total lack of project communications and community engagement, and the pair’s disdain for customers," Cochrane added.
A Telstra spokesperson from Queensland told iTWire that the fault would have to be fixed by NBN Co as it was that company's responsibility. Later, the spokesperson said that since this was an NBN fault, it was likely that customers of other ISPs were affected as well.
Update, 10 October: An NBN Co spokesperson said: "NBN Co has not yet taken control of the assets in this area to allow us to undertake construction so it is not possible that we have caused the outages in question."