Home Telecoms & NBN NBN Co has done well in making rentals NBN-ready: claim
NBN Co has done well in making rentals NBN-ready: claim Featured

Despite all the hiccups, both private and public, which it has had this year, NBN Co seems to have performed well when it comes to making rental properties NBN-ready, it is claimed.

The claim was made by Greg Bader, chief executive of the WA-based company, rent.com.au. His company lists about 70,000 rental properties at any one time and, based on his analysis, NBN Co has done creditably in most states.

For example, in the ACT, the NBN Co had said that in quarter one 22% of the rental properties were able to connect to the NBN and it expected a further 17% to be connectable by the end of the year. This made for a total of 39% by year-end.

Bader said according to figures from the properties listed on his company's website, the total connectable in the ACT would be 44% as of 15 December, 5% over the NBN Co estimate.

There was one curious figure, indicating that another 7% would be connectable in the ACT by the end of the year; Bader noted that this indicated that the NBN Co either intended to work right through the last two weeks of the year or else that its database was yet to be updated.

rental ready nbn

The Q1 table contains the NBN forecast against rent.com.au's active properties at the start of the year. The Q4 table contains the latest NBN data from all rent.com.au's "active” properties.

He told iTWire that the main problem in drafting statistics of this kind — to present to clients, many of whom were particular about NBN access and also the type of technology they would get — was the NBN Co's lack of openness.

Bader was quick to point out that, "our sample is not every property in Australia, but with over 70,000 active rental listings at any time, across all states, it is a large sample.

"With so many new properties added and removed each day, our sample is extremely current and allows us to provide a unique perspective on changes”.

On his company's site, anyone searching for a rental property is also provided with information about NBN connectivity and the type of technology to be expected as seen from the screenshot below:

nbn rent

The one state which saw things go backwards was NSW. There, the number of rentals which were NBN-ready was 35% at the start of the year, with a further 23% predicted to be ready by year-end, making for a total of 58%.

However, the actual figure achieved was 53% which meant a 5% shortfall.

Bader said that while not everybody sought detailed information about NBN connectability when inquiring about rental properties, those who belonged to a younger demographic were quite particular about these details.

He pointed out that the number of people moving inter-state in search of work had risen and this meant that the demand for rentals was increasing.


Australia is a cyber espionage hot spot.

As we automate, script and move to the cloud, more and more businesses are reliant on infrastructure that has the high potential to be exposed to risk.

It only takes one awry email to expose an accounts’ payable process, and for cyber attackers to cost a business thousands of dollars.

In the free white paper ‘6 Steps to Improve your Business Cyber Security’ you’ll learn some simple steps you should be taking to prevent devastating and malicious cyber attacks from destroying your business.

Cyber security can no longer be ignored, in this white paper you’ll learn:

· How does business security get breached?
· What can it cost to get it wrong?
· 6 actionable tips



Ransomware attacks on businesses and institutions are now the most common type of malware breach, accounting for 39% of all IT security incidents, and they are still growing.

Criminal ransomware revenues are projected to reach $11.5B by 2019.

With a few simple policies and procedures, plus some cutting-edge endpoint countermeasures, you can effectively protect your business from the ransomware menace.


Sam Varghese

website statistics

Sam Varghese has been writing for iTWire since 2006, a year after the sitecame into existence. For nearly a decade thereafter, he wrote mostly about free and open source software, based on his own use of this genre of software. Since May 2016, he has been writing across many areas of technology. He has been a journalist for nearly 40 years in India (Indian Express and Deccan Herald), the UAE (Khaleej Times) and Australia (Daily Commercial News (now defunct) and The Age). His personal blog is titled Irregular Expression.


Popular News




Sponsored News