NBN Co chief network engineering officer Peter Ryan said in a monthly update on Wednesday that this was expected to be the first tranche of HFC connections after the suspension that was announced in November last year due to technical issues with the state of the Telstra HFC network.
The NBN Co had said in April that about 38,000 premises would be released by the end of June. No reason was given for the drop of 2000 in the number of premises being ready to connect between that announcement and today's update.
If all goes well with the premises mentioned, then the number of premises connectable via HFC would be increased to an average of 100,000 per month, Ryan said.
"We have also injected extra capacity upgrades to the access network and are working towards introducing the super-fast DOCSIS 3.1 standard, which will be capable of delivering 1Gbps peak wholesale download speeds in the near future," he wrote.
Along with the update, a chart of various statistics was provided, listing number of connections, uptime, etc, most of which were gone over when NBN Co issued its third quarter results on 10 May. The figures were slightly more, seeing as this was a report to the end of April.
A couple of the statistics worth noting:
- NBN Co now claims to have zero downtime.
- The number of faults per 100 homes or businesses per month has gone up to 0.9 from 0.8 a year ago.