Sydney - Australia - LANSA today announces the availability of LongReach, an Apple iOS mobile application for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch devices that provides file and folder creation, management and secure data transfer between mobile devices and IBM i servers. The application can manage documents, presentations, spreadsheets, photos, audio recordings, video, text and many other types of files. Files and folders can be created on the mobile device or on the server and can be synchronized securely between the two.
Your organization can have its first mobile application up and running in under an hour.
- Enables you to create, manipulate and store a complete range of files on your mobile device, especially mobile device specific files such as photos, videos, audio recordings and geolocation data that cannot be easily accessed by traditional browser based mobile applications.
- Securely uploads files and folders from your mobile device to an IBM i server's IFS.
- Optionally, LongReach can send messages to a message queue at the completion of a file transfer to the server. Applications can use the messages to start or resume automated business processes.
- Securely downloads files and folders, created by IBM i server based line-of-business (LOB) applications, to your mobile device.
- Provides a refresh feature that updates the mobile device's view of files and folders on the IBM i server, without having to download any files or folders. After refreshing the view, users can choose which files and folders they wish to download to the mobile device.
LongReach allows organizations to extend data collection tasks for LOB applications into the mobile world at the location of the data source. For example, a vehicle crash repair quotation process fits easily with LongReach. An insurance assessor, allocated to assess a crashed vehicle, downloads all pertinent information for the job to a mobile device from a corporate server via LongReach. The assessor then uses the mobile device to record video of the damage, take photos, make notes and record a voice memo. All these files can then be transferred to the server with a notification of delivery for immediate action by a LOB application.
There are hundreds of uses for LongReach. Here's just a few:
- Standalone file/folder creation and management using mobile device capabilities (e.g. photos, video, audio, geolocation, and more...).
- Securely backup files from a mobile device to an IBM i server.
- Private corporate file sharing amongst mobile staff, where your company controls account access to files
- Download instructions and daily work schedules (work orders, routing instructions, job locations, etc) to mobile devices from an IBM i server. On notification of completion of a job, the mobile device user can receive instructions for the next job, minimizing travel time and cost and maximizing customer service.
- Upload data captured by a mobile device taken at the source (e.g. job details - notes, photos, video, audio recordings etc) to an IBM i server for use by LOB applications. When used with the arrival notification feature, the LOB application can immediately start processing the uploaded data.
- Circumvent email attachment size limits. Use LongReach to transfer the files instead of sending them by email.
- LongReach provides an alternative way to distribute reports and allows recipients to control when they download them.
- Use LongReach as a business-to-business communications tool to share information and to pass data, forms and messages between an organization and its closed community of suppliers or resellers.
LongReach lets you use your own private Cloud running on your own secure IBM i server avoiding the pitfalls of public Cloud storage.
LongReach comes in two parts
- The iPad/iPhone application is downloadable from the Apple iTunes App Store (details and download instructions at www.lansa.com/longreach)
- The server software, for communication with the IBM i server, is downloadable from
www.lansa.com/longreach. Installation on the IBM i is simple and initial communication configuration is performed via an iPad/iPhone.
*LongReach Pricing: The LongReach iPad/iPhone App is free and the IBM i server software is free for the first 1,000 server licensees. Get in now and be part of the new mobile IBM i generation.
For more information: