Technology developments in storage capacity and pricing have allowed consumers to have the same protection of off-site backup that businesses have utilized for years. Since its launch in May 2006, Carbonite has backed up more than 4 billion files for consumers and small businesses around the world and has restored more than 250 million files that would have otherwise been lost forever.
The commercial preload agreement includes all models of Lenovo’s IdeaPad and IdeaCentre consumer PCs in the US, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, India and South Africa. Future territories will include Mexico, Brazil and the United Arab Emirates.
“We are proud to be working with a world class partner in Lenovo,” said Bill Cunningham, EVP of Business Development at Carbonite. “We believe that someday every PC will ship with online backup pre-installed. Studies show that users are more likely to switch PC brands if their computer crashes and they lose valuable data. This move by Lenovo demonstrates its commitment to helping users protect their files. With so many people keeping irreplaceable business documents and personal files (such as photos, music, emails, spreadsheets, presentations and correspondence) on their PCs, users need a simple way to keep everything safe.”
Lenovo’s technical integration with Carbonite works in the following manner:
- When pre-installed on Lenovo Idea-branded PCs, Carbonite prompts users to initialize the backup service the first time the new computer is connected to the Internet.
- Once activated by the user with an email address and password, Carbonite runs quietly in the background, continually creating an initial remote backup of all data files.
- After the first backup is complete, Carbonite continually scans the PC for all new and changed files and backs them up whenever the PC is connected to the worldwide web via a broadband connection.
- Storage capacity is unlimited: users never outgrow their Carbonite subscription no matter how much data they need to store.
- Carbonite never interferes with the speed of the users’ PCs or their Internet browsing.
- Data is double-encrypted before leaving the local computer and is transmitted to Carbonite’s secure data center using HTTPS (SSL) for total privacy.
Carbonite is available to consumers and small businesses through numerous channels, including its corporate website, major US retailers and international distributors. For more information, please visit www.carbonite.com.au .