In China it is third largest by market share, nipping at the heels of Apple and is one of a small group that could feasibly gain market leadership there.
Richard Yu, chief executive of the Huawei Consumer Business Group, said: “With Huawei P10 and P10+ we have created a smartphone that revolutionises and redefines portrait photography. Thanks to the evolution of our partnership with Leica Camera, users now have an incredible Leica front camera on their Huawei device in addition to the rear.
"To match this innovation inside, Huawei’s partnership with Pantone Colour Institute ensures that the devices are equally as beautiful on the outside. The Huawei P10 and P10+ are smartphones that are as fashionable as they are functional.”
Huawei is leveraging the Leica camera pedigree to the max and in a sea of me-too glass slabs it is a significant feature as this writer found in the recently released Mate 9 review – it makes a huge difference to the definition of smartphone photography.
Oliver Kaltner, chief executive, Leica Camera, said: “Our partnership with Huawei allows us to demonstrate to millions of customers that amazing and professional imagery can be achieved on a smartphone and that our expertise in lenses and optics can help them achieve fantastic portraits. Huawei P10 and P10+ give users all the tools of an artistic portrait studio in their pocket, allowing them to achieve stunning results every time they take a shot.”
If the Mate 9 has Leica V2.0, then this is Leica V3.0 (and we trust it will retrofit some of the firmware to that excellent device).
Huawei P10 key Portraiture Features:
- 3D Facial Detection An all-new intelligent facial detection system features over 190 detailed identification nodes for accurate recognition for perfect selfies.
- Leica Dual-Camera 2.0: The Leica Dual-Camera 2.0 on the P10 features a 12MP RGB + 20MP monochrome sensor that captures detailed facial features. The 2.0 Pro Edition carries SUMMILUX-H Leica lenses, with a larger F/1.8 aperture to capture more light in low-light situations
- Hybrid Zoom: An additional new feature that allows users to focus in on specific areas of an image while still keeping the sharpness of image quality
- Embedded ISP: The Kirin 960 with embedded ISP enables real-time viewing of depth-of-field changes and facial features.
- Studio-like Portrait Enhancements: The artistic imaging algorithm in the Huawei P10 and P10+ is based on the extensive research of various face shapes and skin colours. By understanding the relative position of each facial feature and the uniqueness of skin type, the portrait enhancements can be applied in a customised and more natural way.
- Dynamic Illumination: Huawei P10 and P10+ include an auto-sensing algorithm that tracks environment lighting changes and automatically adjusts the shooting configuration, including the AWB, shutter speed and more.
- Front camera sensor: All-new front camera sensor that captures more light to improve picture quality in low-light conditions. 8MP, f/1.9.
As for the rest of the phone:
- Processor: Kirin 960 (same as the Mate 9 and one of the most powerful SoC at present) 4 x 2.4GHZ and 4 x 1.8GHz.
- 5.1” IPS-NEO LCD, 1920 x 1080, 432PPI, Gorilla Glass 5, 71.2% screen to body ratio.
- 4/64GB and microSD support.
- 3300mAh battery and Huawei USB-C fast charge.
- Stereo speakers and active noise cancellation.
- Fingerprint sensor.
- AI features to ensure the best performance.
- Wi-Fi AC dual band MIMO; Wi-Di, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC.
- 145.3 x 69.3 x 7 mm x 145g.
- Colours: Mystic Silver, Rose Gold, Graphite Black, Dazzling Gold, Dazzling Blue, Greenery – with Hyper Diamond-Cut finish (not all will come to Australia)
- Australian availability – after April 2017. In Europe, the P10 is €649 and the P10+ €799.
Huawei has collaborated with Pantone on some of the new body colours like Greenery and Dazzling Blue – if it is half as sexy as Café/Mocha on the Mate 9 these are a winner.