WatchGuard Technologies, a leader in multi-function integrated security appliances, has released WatchGuard Dimension 2.1, the latest version of its award-winning data visualisation and reporting suite, and Fireware 11.11, its security-hardened operating system.
These releases provide increased visibility across the entire network for distributed enterprises and small and midsize businesses (SMBs). IT professionals can now scan networks for unauthorised devices with WatchGuard's Network Discovery, gain real-time visibility into infected clients with Botnet Detection, identify and audit mobile devices connected to the network with Mobile Security, and take advantage of new reporting and management capabilities in Dimension.
Corey Nachreiner, chief technology officer at WatchGuard, said, "We talk about visibility as the missing layer of information security, but really, it's more like night vision goggles. It allows you to see into areas that were previously just a shadowy void. No matter how good the security may be, the threat landscape will continue to evolve. Since you can't stop every attack, you need to have mechanisms that help you see, analyse and respond to them before it's too late."
- Network Discovery: a subscription service that performs a complete network scan to quickly generate a visual map of every connected device, providing Firebox administrators total visibility into all assets on their network. The technology ensures only authorised devices are in place, while at the same time detecting open ports and identifying the protocols that are running.
- Botnet Detection: integrated into the Reputation Enabled Defense service. Customers gain real-time visibility into infected clients and command and control communication is immediately blocked.
- Mobile Security: a subscription service that delivers an additional layer of network visibility by giving administrators the ability to identify and audit mobile devices that connect to the network. This allows Firebox administrators to enforce access controls and only allow mobile devices that adhere to current corporate policies, and are free of malware.
Dimension 2.1 brings big data visibility to network security, without the associated cost and complexity. It is a cloud-ready network security visibility solution that comes standard with WatchGuard's flagship Unified Threat Management and Next Generation Firewall platform. It provides a suite of big data visibility and reporting tools that instantly identify and distil key network security threats, issues and trends, accelerating the ability to set meaningful security policies across the network.:
- Subscription Services Dashboard: a reporting interface that gives businesses a comprehensive performance summary with statistics to show what has been scanned by a Firebox and attacks or malware that have been prevented. It enables IT managers to deliver that information in an easily digestible format for non-technical users.
- Policy Usage Report: a new report that provides valuable insight into how frequently policies are used, thereby enabling IT teams to keep firewall policies current and eliminate unnecessary or unused policies. This report is often requested by PCI auditors since unused policies are a good indicator of a poorly managed and maintained firewall.
- User Anonymisation: an innovative feature that enables businesses to conform to data privacy regulations, such as the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation framework, by anonymising end-user information.