Author's Opinion

The views in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of iTWire.

Have your say and comment below.

Friday, 07 April 2017 12:28

Ubuntu phone: perhaps it was too good to last


The demise of the Ubuntu phone will not affect hundreds of millions, or even a much smaller multiple of that number.

But, nevertheless, it is a pity to see one of the better alternatives to the data-snooping Android and the walled garden approach of Apple bow out.

Overnight on Wednesday, Mark Shuttleworth, the owner of Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, faced up to financial reality and said development of Ubuntu phones and tablets would end.

He is also cutting down on staff but then that was bound to happen: Shuttleworth has been paying all the bills since October 2004 and while he was once a billionaire, nobody has bottomless pockets.

Shuttleworth has rubbed up many people in the open source community the wrong way and he has had to eat humble pie by ditching the desktop environment Unity which he wanted to use for Ubuntu, rather than GNOME as he originally did.

There is a lesson that Shuttleworth can learn from Linux creator Linus Torvalds. The latter, a genius in more ways than one, is bothered about details and sticks to doing one thing and doing it bloody well.

Shuttleworth, on the other hand, has tried to do too much and shown that in many ways he has a "mine is bigger than yours" attitude.

He does not sweat the small stuff; no, he is a man in the mould of P.G. Wodehouse's character Stanley Featherstone Ukridge, one who has vision, and the big broad outlook. Given that, he often comes unstuck. This is one more occasion when that has happened.

Poor communication skills have cost Shuttleworth and his company too; spin does not work well in open-source circles and Shuttleworth is the very epitome of spin.

So what happens to the remaining Ubuntu phone users? They are in a similar bucket to Windows Phone users but with one major advantage: Linux is much more secure than Windows.

The only hope is that someone will pick up the code for Ubuntu phone and run with it. One developer, Marius Gripsgård, has ported it to many other models.

He has also made a promise to keep working on Unity. How long that will go on remains to be seen.

Most technologies end up with two alternatives, one owning roughly 85% of the market and the other holding most of the remaining 15%. Given this has happened repeatedly over the years, perhaps it was foolish to expect the Ubuntu phone experiment to last.

The writer has been using an Ubuntu phone since April 2016.

Subscribe to ITWIRE UPDATE Newsletter here


The much awaited iTWire Shop is now open to our readers.

Visit the iTWire Shop, a leading destination for stylish accessories, gear & gadgets, lifestyle products and everyday portable office essentials, drones, zoom lenses for smartphones, software and online training.

PLUS Big Brands include: Apple, Lenovo, LG, Samsung, Sennheiser and many more.

Products available for any country.

We hope you enjoy and find value in the much anticipated iTWire Shop.



iTWire TV offers a unique value to the Tech Sector by providing a range of video interviews, news, views and reviews, and also provides the opportunity for vendors to promote your company and your marketing messages.

We work with you to develop the message and conduct the interview or product review in a safe and collaborative way. Unlike other Tech YouTube channels, we create a story around your message and post that on the homepage of ITWire, linking to your message.

In addition, your interview post message can be displayed in up to 7 different post displays on our the site to drive traffic and readers to your video content and downloads. This can be a significant Lead Generation opportunity for your business.

We also provide 3 videos in one recording/sitting if you require so that you have a series of videos to promote to your customers. Your sales team can add your emails to sales collateral and to the footer of their sales and marketing emails.

See the latest in Tech News, Views, Interviews, Reviews, Product Promos and Events. Plus funny videos from our readers and customers.


Sam Varghese

Sam Varghese has been writing for iTWire since 2006, a year after the site came into existence. For nearly a decade thereafter, he wrote mostly about free and open source software, based on his own use of this genre of software. Since May 2016, he has been writing across many areas of technology. He has been a journalist for nearly 40 years in India (Indian Express and Deccan Herald), the UAE (Khaleej Times) and Australia (Daily Commercial News (now defunct) and The Age). His personal blog is titled Irregular Expression.

Share News tips for the iTWire Journalists? Your tip will be anonymous




Guest Opinion

Guest Reviews

Guest Research

Guest Research & Case Studies

Channel News