Six never-seen-concepts were announced by King’ori Gitahi, technical product manager of Motorola, West, East and Central Africa, at an event in Ghana. The 17-minute video at the end shows most of the products.
Mods are magnetic snap-ons to the Moto Z series and extend the functionality way beyond a traditional smartphone.
These working concepts include
- Moto 360 camera – a 360° cylinder that protruded from the top of the phone and can stream live 360°, 4K video.
- ROKR Mod – looks like a Marshall speaker amplifier with line in/out and a stereo speaker.
- Studio Mod – an HD voice microphone to turn the Z into a proper media/journalist recorder.
- Direct TV Mod – allows DirectTV USB dongle to plug into the Z series and stream live digital TV (DirectTV is US-based).
- DSLR Mod – a mirrorless DSLR body that takes standard DSLR lenses (brand/mount undisclosed).
- Action Mod – a kind of Go-Pro 4K camera mod.
These are in addition to the launch of the new Z2 Play (the base model Z2) and the Turbocharge battery pack, JBL SoundBoost 2, GamePad, Wireless Charging back, the Vehicle Dock, and the promise that all Mods will support at least two generations of Z phones to protect any investment.
Android Police have more here.