The G6 was designed in conjunction with user consultation that demanded water resistance, big screen, and one-handed operation (both satisfied by the 18:9 ratio).
Another required feature was a light UI touch over Android and the advantages of Google’s Android 7 including the first after Pixel/XL to have Google Assistant.
Bruce Leigh, marketing manager for Mobile at LG Electronics Australia said, “We’re delighted to be bringing the LG G6 to Australia so soon. Australians are increasingly spending more time viewing content on their smartphones and the LG G6 has been designed with these types of consumer trends in mind, most notably providing a big screen that fits in one hand, so you can see more and hold less.
"The G6 has functions Australians have come to expect, such as wide angle cameras, water resistance, fingerprint security and the latest Google enhancements.”
From now until 9 May Telstra has bundled a bonus LG 43” FHD Smart TV when purchasing the new LG G6 4/32GB smartphone on eligible Telstra 24-month $95 and above plans.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 Pro, 2x2.53GHx and 2x1.6GHz. Adreno 530 GPU.
- RAM/STORAGE: 4GB LPDR4 and 64GB UFS 2.0 storage, with microSD slot to 256GB and OTG to 2TB (Telstra version has 32GB RAM standard).
- Screen: 5.7", QHD 2880 x 1440, 564 ppi, 18:9 (2:1) Full Vision Display screen and Gorilla Glass 3 on front and 5 on back.
- New UX 6.0 to take advantage of the 2:1 nature of the screen e.g. side by side apps etc.
- Dolby Vision and HDR10+ - the first phone with both standards as well as Pantone “natural vivid” colour palette.
- IP 68 rating and MIL Spec drop rating.
- Rear Camera: Improved dual, flush mount, 13MP, 2 x Sony IMX258 1/3" sensor size, 1.12 µm pixel, f/1.8, 71°normal lens, Phase detect autofocus, 3-axis OIS, and 13MP, 125°, f/2.4 wide angle, OIS and 4K record. Will shoot two images side-by-side in 1:1 format perfect for Instagram. 360° panorama shots. Dual flash and 4K record.
- Front camera: 5MP, f/2.2, 100° wide-angle selfie camera with screen flash. 1080p record.
- Rear fingerprint sensor.
- AI learning using Google Assistant – OK Google.
- Hi quality audio DAC, 32-bit/192KHz, active noise cancelling, multiple mics. aptX.
- Wi-Fi AC, 2x2 MIMO, Wi-Di, hotspot, GPS, NFC, FM radio.
- Apps in Google Play store are being made compatible with 18:9 and LGs media player will adjust for maximum screen use.
- 18:9 games package US$200 value including Temple Run by Imagini.
- Colours” Ice Platinum, Mystic White, Astro Black.
- Battery: 3300mAh battery – guaranteed battery reliability and air gap around the battery, Qualcomm fast charge 3.0. zero to 100% in 1.5 hours and wireless charge. 72-hour endurance rating.
- Heat pipe cooling and dispersed heat generating component.
- 148.9x71.9x7.9mm x 163g
- Android 7 with an upgrade to 8.
The 18:9 screen makes the G6 the first smartphone to embrace the “Univisium” format, Latin for “unity of images”, a proposed universal film format created by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro to unify all future theatrical and television movies into one respective aspect ratio of 2:1 (18:9).
The format also includes new standards for projection that are claimed to maximise the efficiencies of the Univisium format. It eliminates the need to make different format “prints” to suit TV, theatre, smartphones, and other display devices while still using 35mm or 65mm original film stock and equipment.
It allows for slightly longer smartphone screens without increased width. Existing 16:9 content can be slightly stretched or presented as letterbox style with minimal black bars on either side of it. Samsung’s forthcoming S8 and Apple’s iPhone 8 will use 18:9 screens.