Wednesday, 10 June 2020 08:34

Huawei takes big hit to smartphone sales in Europe in 1Q2020

By
Huawei takes big hit to smartphone sales in Europe in 1Q2020 Image by farukgarib14 from Pixabay

Huawei has taken the biggest hit to its smartphone sales in Europe among the top vendors, probably due to the sanctions placed on it by the US, the technology analyst firm Counterpoint Research says.

As the European smartphone market shrank by 7% in the first quarter of 2020, Huawei saw its share of the overall market fall to 16% from 23% a year earlier.

The biggest beneficiary from Huawei's misery was fellow Chinese phone maker Xiaomi which saw its market share zoom from 4% in the first quarter of 2019 to 11% in the first quarter of the current year.

Apple's sales stayed more or less constant, with 21% in 2019 and 22% this year, while Samsung kept the top spot (29% in 2020 compared to 31% in 2019).

Research analyst Abhilash Kumar said: "Huawei declined a sharp 43% YoY for the quarter as the US trade sanctions continue to bite.

counterpoint europe q1 2020 vendors

“Xiaomi has been the biggest beneficiary from Huawei’s decline as it grew 145% YoY capturing 11% share in the quarter.”

Among European countries, the worst affected as far as smartphone sales went was Italy which saw its market drop by 21% year-on-year.

Counterpoint's Peter Richardson said the first quarter was generally weak anyway but the coronavirus had magnified this.

“The smartphone market decline was primarily due to COVID-19 outbreak across the region in the second half of the quarter," he said.

counterpoint europe q1 2020 countries

"The biggest five markets in Europe entered lockdowns of varying severity at different points in March.

"Consequently, most of the offline stores were closed, though online remained open throughout.

"Also, the economic impact of the pandemic has led to lengthening replacement cycles as consumers withhold making discretionary purchases.”


Subscribe to ITWIRE UPDATE Newsletter here

GRAND OPENING OF THE ITWIRE SHOP

The much awaited iTWire Shop is now open to our readers.

Visit the iTWire Shop, a leading destination for stylish accessories, gear & gadgets, lifestyle products and everyday portable office essentials, drones, zoom lenses for smartphones, software and online training.

PLUS Big Brands include: Apple, Lenovo, LG, Samsung, Sennheiser and many more.

Products available for any country.

We hope you enjoy and find value in the much anticipated iTWire Shop.

ENTER THE SHOP NOW!

INTRODUCING ITWIRE TV

iTWire TV offers a unique value to the Tech Sector by providing a range of video interviews, news, views and reviews, and also provides the opportunity for vendors to promote your company and your marketing messages.

We work with you to develop the message and conduct the interview or product review in a safe and collaborative way. Unlike other Tech YouTube channels, we create a story around your message and post that on the homepage of ITWire, linking to your message.

In addition, your interview post message can be displayed in up to 7 different post displays on our the iTWire.com site to drive traffic and readers to your video content and downloads. This can be a significant Lead Generation opportunity for your business.

We also provide 3 videos in one recording/sitting if you require so that you have a series of videos to promote to your customers. Your sales team can add your emails to sales collateral and to the footer of their sales and marketing emails.

See the latest in Tech News, Views, Interviews, Reviews, Product Promos and Events. Plus funny videos from our readers and customers.

SEE WHAT'S ON ITWIRE TV NOW!

BACK TO HOME PAGE
Sam Varghese

Web Analytics

Sam Varghese has been writing for iTWire since 2006, a year after the site came into existence. For nearly a decade thereafter, he wrote mostly about free and open source software, based on his own use of this genre of software. Since May 2016, he has been writing across many areas of technology. He has been a journalist for nearly 40 years in India (Indian Express and Deccan Herald), the UAE (Khaleej Times) and Australia (Daily Commercial News (now defunct) and The Age). His personal blog is titled Irregular Expression.

Share News tips for the iTWire Journalists? Your tip will be anonymous

WEBINARS ONLINE & ON-DEMAND

GUEST ARTICLES

VENDOR NEWS

Guest Opinion

Guest Interviews

Guest Reviews

Guest Research

Guest Research & Case Studies

Channel News

Comments