Free language teaching app Duolingo has come out on top as the 'best' iPhone app of 2013 , while Ridiculous Fishing, already the receipient of an Apple Design Award for 2013, has wrangled the game-specific award for the smartphone.
The iPad app of the year prize menawhile was taken out by Disney Animated, an interactive guide to the iconic studio's animation process, and platforming favourite Badland won the game category.
Despite being on offer for some time now the iOS edition of Minecraft was the best selling paid app of 2013, while it's little surprise that Candy Crush Saga was both the top free and the top grossing app of the year.
In the OS X App Store, to-do list manager Wunderlist takes home the prize for best app of the year, with Lego Lord of the Rings being named the greatest game.
The full list of Apple's favourite apps of 2013:
- Album of the Year - Lorde, Pure Heroine
- Song of the Year - Get Lucky, Daft Punk
- Australian Artist - Flume
- Breakthrough Artist - Lorde, Pure Heroine
- Best Thriller - Gravity
- Best Independent - Blue Jasmine
- Best Romance - Silver Linings Playbook
- Best Kids & Family - Despicable Me 2
- Best Debut - House of Cards, Season 1
- Best Series Finale - Breaking Bad, The Final Season
- Best Mini-series - Top of the Lake, Season 1
- Best Breakthrough - Scandal, Season 2
- iPhone App of the Year - Duolingo Learn Languages for Free
- iPhone Game of the Year - Ridiculous Fishing A Tale of Redemption
- iPad App of the Year - Disney Animated
- iPad Game of the Year - BADLAND
- Book of the Year - Burial Rites, Hannah Kent
- Best Australian Book - The Husband's Secret, Liane Moriarty
- Best Non-Fiction - Murder in Mississippi, John Safran
- Best Breakout Book - Saving Wishes, GJ Walker-Smith
- Best Classic Audio Podcast - TOFOP, Will Anderson and Charlie Clausen
- Best Classic Video Podcast - Good Game, ABC TV
- Best New Audio Podcast - Welcome to Night Vale, Commonplace Books
- Best New Video Podcast - BrainStuff, TestTube