As we reported last week a Chinese man was left in a coma after using a faulty knock-off charger, just weeks after a Chinese air hostess was killed under similar circumstances.
A message at the top of the dedicated page on Apple's China website states that Apple has always placed the safety of its consumers as a foremost concern, and that all of its products, including the iPhone and iPad, must go through rigorous testing for safety and reliability, according to a translation from The Next Web.
When you charge your iPhone or iPad, we suggest that you use all USB power adapters with correspondingly-labeled USB cables. These adapters and cables can be purchased as individual items from Apple and authorized Apple retailers.
The news is being taken cautiously in China, one of its newspapers the South China Morning Post has quoted academics who admitted there was a risk, but there was no data to support it yet.
"There is a risk using an electrical device while its installed battery is being charged, be it a shaver or a phone,” said Johnny Sin Kin-on, a professor at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
Meanwhile experts in other countries are being equally cautious in jumping to conclusions. “We have seen very few incidents related to shock or electrocution involving cell phones,” Scott Wolfson of the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, told CNN.
”Most of our attention has been on overheating, smoke or fire.”