Juniper announced on Tuesday that the enhancements include a new compact and containerised virtual firewall called Networks cSRX – a next-generation firewall providing advanced security services for Software Defined Networks, as well as a multi-core version of its vSRX virtual firewall that is expected to be capable of reaching 100 Gigabits per second (Gbps).
Juniper says its ‘industry fastest’ vSRX virtual firewall has a speed “10 times greater than the nearest competitor” and creates new possibilities for using agile and flexible virtual firewalls.
“As the security landscape continues to evolve, it is more important than ever to work together to combat cyber threats. These key additions to our security portfolio will further our Software-Defined Secure Networks vision and greatly benefit our customers,” said Kevin Walker, security CTO, Juniper Networks.
Walker says that as the scale and sophistication of threats continue to increase, next-generation security must be built around “automated and actionable intelligence that can be enforced quickly to reduce risk and protect the network and its users”.
He says Juniper’s vision for SDSN looks to tackle this need with an “open threat intelligence platform and enforcement through its robust suite of physical and virtual firewalls, as well as network switches and routers”.
“When combined with an open policy engine and global orchestration, users can set and enforce policy based on intent, either on premises or in the cloud.”
Here’s what Juniper says about cSRX:
• Juniper’s cSRX firewall provides advanced security services, including Content Security, AppSecure, and unified threat management (UTM) for providing security as a service in large multi-tenant cloud networks with the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO)
• The cSRX has feature rich security capabilities, low footprint and a microservices architecture that is expected to not only lowers the cost to customers, but also makes deployment throughout the network easier than ever before, without compromising performance
• The cSRX takes advantage of Docker Container’s low overhead and sub-second boot-up times to bring greater agility and elasticity to customers’ virtual infrastructures.
And, what the vendor has to say about vSRX:
• Juniper’s multi-core version of vSRX provides linear scale of performance with each additional core. Using just 12 virtual central processing units (vCPUs) it was able to scale firewall throughput five times to achieve 100 Gbps, which will make it the highest performing virtual firewall in the industry
• The multi-core vSRX is a high-performance virtual Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), with full routing, firewall and L4-L7 security features
• The vSRX provides scalable, secure protection across private, public and hybrid clouds in virtualised environments for high bandwidth customers and applications
• The vSRX delivers high availability, granular security with segmentation capabilities between zones, organisations, lines of business and applications, as well as rich connectivity features like Network Address Translation (NAT), routing and VPN
• Working closely with Intel, vSRX leverages the Open Source Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) software architecture, an open source set of libraries for fast packet processing, to take advantage of performance and quality of service benefits from the Intel Xeon processor family.