Ghostdrone 2.0 is fully controlled by an Android or iOS smartphone, and its $1199 price includes a spherical 4K/12MP camera and VR Goggles.
EHang may not be as well known in Australia, but it makes a range of autonomous and unmanned aerial vehicles up to the world-renowned model 184 which can take a passenger. It has had to build in ruggedness and reliability and has implemented a “You break it, we fix it,” one-year no-hassle warranty. It has an automatic return in case of low battery and redundant safety sensors.
"We believe users are intimidated by the complexity of flying their first drone. But with our new VR goggles and 4K cameras, it's easier and more intuitive than ever to take to the skies," said Derrick Xiong, chief marketing officer of EHang.
The app uses smart algorithms and artificial intelligence to make it easy to fly and reduce human errors in flight.
It uses 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and sets the smartphone up on its G-Box mesh for an effective maximum range of about 1000 metres. Speeds range from 40 to 70 km/h, and it can rise and 2.5m/s. The 4500 mAh battery is good for up to 25 minutes’ flight on a 60-minute charge. It uses 16.8V/3.5A and 5V/2A charger.
The camera sits on a remote-controlled gimbal that will Yaw -45 to +45° and Pitch -90 to +30°. It has a f/2.8, 93° lens, and a 12MP sensor capable of H.264 video, 4K at 30fps or HD at up to 120fps – and records to a 64GB microSD card (not supplied). It can also take still shots.
Ghostdrone 2.0 is distributed in Australia by RIISE who are also distributors for 4K Fly, 360° cameras, and Zeiss VR.
"The GHOSTDRONE 2.0 VR provides Aussie consumers with a truly one-of-a-kind immersive flying experience. It is accessible, fun and super easy to control entirely by smartphone. Whether you're off on a family adventure these school holidays, filming your kid's sports, or picnicking in the park, the GHOSTDRONE 2.0 VR allows you to capture amazing moments with crystal clarity, and from an entirely new perspective”, said Nick Segger of RIISE.
About the app
GhostDrone 2.0 offers novices and enthusiasts a flying experienced that is unmatched in consumer drones. The iOS and Android app allows multiple flight modes including:
- Touch to go – using your smart device simply point to the place on the map you wish GhostDrone 2.0 to fly to and it will head to that destination.
- WayPoints – using the Ehang map in the app select some different WayPoints, hit GO and GhostDrone 2.0 will fly that route.
- Avatar mode – GhostDrone 2.0 will mimic its flight as you move your mobile phone. Tilt forward, GhostDrone 2.0 moves forward. Rotate your phone, GhostDrone 2.0 turns.
- Key flight information such as height, distance and battery life is available visually and verbally during flight.
- SmartShots – GhostDrone 2.0 offers many features to allow you to get the best videos and photos of what’s important to you. Some of these features include:
- Vertical Lift - GhostDrone 2.0 will fly up vertically to a predetermined height to allow you to get a bird’s eye view of your surroundings.
- Drone Selfie - GhostDrone 2.0 will hover in front of you and take a photograph of you and your friends.
- Orbit - Set a location on your map and GhostDrone 2.0 will fly around this position recording crisp 4K video.
- Companion Mode - Want to take GhostDrone 2.0 with you as you move along? Not a problem, hit Companion mode and GhostDrone will follow you along
- Side track – Your GhostDrone 2.0 will automatically track alongside you to get you beautiful 4K video as you move along.
The Ehang app also offers tutorials and allows you to unlock more features as your flying experience improves.