The milestone for Australia’s Internet community has been reached after strong growth in .au registrations over the past 13 years.
And, here’s some of the facts about the 3 million .au domain names:
• In June 2015, AusRegistry processed 41.2 billion DNS queries for .au domain names. This averages to approximately 1.4 billion DNS queries per day in the .au zone
• The average length of a .au domain name is 10 to 13 characters. More than 38,000 .au domains are 28 characters or more long, with four domain names recording the maximum length allowable at 63 characters
• Almost 40% of all .au domain names have been registered for between two to six years. 7% have been registered for more than 10 years
• Approximately 86% of all .au domain names are registered under .com.au
• New South Wales accounts for the largest number of .au registrations (1 million), followed by Victoria (800,000) and Queensland (600,000)
• .au domain name registrations grew at a rate of 6% over the past 12 months.
Commenting on the growth, the .au Domain Administration (auDA) and AusRegistry both said the .au domain namespace is an essential service asset for Australian businesses and plays a critical role in providing a platform for the nation’s digital economy.
And, the Minister for Commnications Malcom Turnbull said, "The Internet is the most transformative infrastructure ever built by mankind. It has connected 40% of the global population and before too long it will connect almost all of us. It has supercharged every aspect of human development spreading knowledge, trade, ideas (good and bad) to every corner of the world.
“Australia, once remote, is one of the greatest beneficiaries of the Internet's annihilation of geography. Congratulations to auDA on this momentous milestone."
Chris Disspain, CEO of .au Domain Administration (auDA), said the success of .au domain names reflects the strong position of Australia’s digital economy.
“Australian businesses and consumers have confidence in .au domain names because they’re the best way to identify yourself as a trusted Australian source online.
“The .au domain name is Australia’s home on the Internet. It’s a safe, trusted and reputable corner of the web and Australians know it. That’s why more and more people and companies are gravitating towards .au names that allow us to shop, live, work and play online with confidence.
“The .au namespace has been ably supported by AusRegistry, the technical registry provider for the .au namespace and the official .au Registrars who provide the retail channel.”
Adrian Kinderis, CEO of AusRegistry, said the technology behind .au has helped position it as one of the most trusted locations on the web.