Apple’s newest iPhone 6s and 6s Plus models are now just over a couple of weeks away from retail sale, and it’s at this moment in time Gumtree says is ‘the perfect time to sell your old mobile phone to earn some extra cash.’
Owned by eBay, Gumtree is Australia’s version of Craigslist, the online sales and shopping destination that commands no sales commissions, and it’s a highly popular site, whether to buy, sell or check out the going second-hand market rate for virtually any item.
The selling site’s latest data reveals that ‘selling your mobile just before a new release could result in a higher return on your second hand smartphone.
For example, in the days before last year’s iPhone 6 release, older generation iPhones were selling, on average, for $200 more than at any other time of the year - with this information sourced from the ‘Gumtree Mobile Phone Checked Report, commissioned by Data labs, July 2015.’
Gumtree has also reported a huge spike in mobile phone listings around new Apple product launches, with last year’s iPhone 6 release resulting in a 55% month on month increase of mobile phone listings on the site - from the same report as above, looking at 1H vs 2H (1st half of the year vs 2nd half of the year) average listing prices.
In a similar vein, the 2014 release of the iPhone 6 saw a 203% increase in iPhone listings on Gumtree, based on the company’s internal data, while the release of the Apple Watch saw a 439% increase in listings.
Sara McConkey, Gumtree spokesperson said: “Globally we know consumers upgrade their phone every 18-20 months [based on Gartner’s Global Smartphone Report, March 2015]. Following last year’s iPhone 6 release, we saw a 55% month on month increase in mobile listings on Gumtree.
“Just 12 months on from the release of the Apple iPhone 6/6+, we predict tech enthusiasts across the country will turn to Gumtree to list their old iPhone and make some money in the process.”
Gumtree has also released a ‘mobile phone price checker’ site so you can quickly and easily see the ‘average selling price’ of your phone’s make and model.
The company has also issued some useful tips for selling your phone on Gumtree:
1. Be honest: Head to the price checker and click on the make and model of your old phone The average selling price, to help get you the quickest sale, will then appear
2. Be descriptive: Describe the mobile device you’re selling, including its features, a brief history and reasons for selling the item. The more information you provide, the more likely you are to make a sale at the price you’re looking for.
3. Upload high quality photos: Taking good quality pictures from a variety of different angles can increase the chance of selling your phone, not only faster, but for a better price.
4. Manage your listing: As a seller it’s important to keep on top of communication with potential buyers. You can communicate quickly and directly with through My Messages and download the Gumtree app on your phone so you can manage your ad on the go.
5. Always meet face-to-face: When buying or selling your mobile device, it's important to meet in-person.. For personal ease and safety, have someone with you if a buyer is coming to your home or workplace.