Friday, 31 December 2010 13:04

Facebook site top searched, top visited (with asterisk)


Facebook lovers rejoice, Facebook haters get ready: Facebook and variations thereof were not only the most searched for terms in 2010, but Facebook was also the most visited site, although the asterisk comes if you merge Google and YouTube's visit results, as it too can then claim 'most visited' status.

Experian Hitwise has come out with a press release explaining the most searched for terms and the most visited sites in 2010.

For better or worse, the blessing or curse that is Facebook has come out on top in both categories, with Hitwise saying that it's 'the second year that the social networking website has been the top search term overall, accounting for 2.11 percent of all searches', although there were actually 'four variations of the term 'facebook' among the top 10 terms and [they] accounted for 3.48 percent of searches overall.'

Presumably showing how potentially clueless some Internet users really are, Hitwise unveils the rather stunning stat that the term 'facebook login' moved up from 9th spot in 2009 to second spot in 2010.

Clearly, there are a LOT of people out there typing in 'facebook login' into Google because they can't remember how to type into the address bar, or are confusing the address bar with the Google search bar, or are just lazy. Or something else. It is slightly pathetic - you'd think the Internet would make us smarter. Sigh.

For more details on the exact percentages of the top 10, be sure to visit Experian Hitwise's media release.

2009's top 10 most searched terms were
1. facebook
2. myspace
3. craigslist
4. youtube
5. yahoo mail
6. google
7. yahoo
8. ebay
9. facebook login

This compares with the 2010 top 10 most search terms:

1. facebook
2. facebook login
3. youtube
4. craigslist
5. myspace
7. ebay
8. yahoo
10. mapquest

The top 10 visited sites for 2009 and 2010 are on page two, please read on!

When it comes to top visited websites, Facebook was the No.1 and accounted for 8.93% of all US visits between Jan and November 2010.

However, Google was in second spot with 7.19% and YouTube is in fifth position at 2.65%, and if those two figures are joined together, they push Google and YouTube to the top of the most visited list with a combined total of 9.85% of all US visits, although Facebook still has the biggest individual figures.

Despite the popularity of Gmail and Hotmail, Yahoo Mail is still in No.3 spot with 3.52% of visits and Yahoo! itself is still in fourth spot with 3.3% of visits.

2009's top 10 most-visited sites were:


This compares with the 2010 top 10 most-visited website list:


Visit Experian Hitwise's release for more details.


Subscribe to ITWIRE UPDATE Newsletter here

Now’s the Time for 400G Migration

The optical fibre community is anxiously awaiting the benefits that 400G capacity per wavelength will bring to existing and future fibre optic networks.

Nearly every business wants to leverage the latest in digital offerings to remain competitive in their respective markets and to provide support for fast and ever-increasing demands for data capacity. 400G is the answer.

Initial challenges are associated with supporting such project and upgrades to fulfil the promise of higher-capacity transport.

The foundation of optical networking infrastructure includes coherent optical transceivers and digital signal processing (DSP), mux/demux, ROADM, and optical amplifiers, all of which must be able to support 400G capacity.

With today’s proprietary power-hungry and high cost transceivers and DSP, how is migration to 400G networks going to be a viable option?

PacketLight's next-generation standardised solutions may be the answer. Click below to read the full article.


WEBINAR PROMOTION ON ITWIRE: It's all about webinars

These days our customers Advertising & Marketing campaigns are mainly focussed on webinars.

If you wish to promote a Webinar we recommend at least a 2 week campaign prior to your event.

The iTWire campaign will include extensive adverts on our News Site and prominent Newsletter promotion and Promotional News & Editorial.

This coupled with the new capabilities 5G brings opens up huge opportunities for both network operators and enterprise organisations.

We have a Webinar Business Booster Pack and other supportive programs.

We look forward to discussing your campaign goals with you.


Alex Zaharov-Reutt

One of Australia’s best-known technology journalists and consumer tech experts, Alex has appeared in his capacity as technology expert on all of Australia’s free-to-air and pay TV networks on all the major news and current affairs programs, on commercial and public radio, and technology, lifestyle and reality TV shows. Visit Alex at Twitter here.

Share News tips for the iTWire Journalists? Your tip will be anonymous




Guest Opinion

Guest Interviews

Guest Reviews

Guest Research

Guest Research & Case Studies

Channel News