The printer has four ink tanks — cyan, magenta, yellow and black — and uses refill bottles that deliver up to 7000 A4 pages in colour and 6000 in black. Initially, the product comes in G2600, G3600, and G4600 models; the last-named has multi-function features, Wi-Fi and Cloud print.
Ink tank printers are not new — a rival brand has had models out for the past couple of years — but it is certainly a tacit acknowledgement from Canon that a SOHO printer is no longer merely a vehicle to use expensive ink. The catch is simply that you pay more for these types of printers upfront so it is only of benefit to power users.
Ink costs $24.99 for each colour and $29.99 for black, totalling $104.96 – about 1.5 cents per page in colour making it a very low-cost option.
The G4600 (top of the range) technical specifications include:
- B5 up to A4 paper 105gsm and speciality paper up to 275gsm.
- A4 borderless print.
- Mono 8.8 ipm and colour 5 ipm.
- Wi-Fi N 2.4GHz and USB 2.0 port.
- Copier, Fax (colour and mono), scanner (1200 x 600), cloud print (Google Cloud, Apple Air, Mopria).
- ADF 99 sheets A4 80gsm.
- 2-line LCD screen.
- Cloud print access to Facebook, Dropbox, Google Drive, and SlideShare.
- Size/weight: 445 x 330 x 197 mm x 7.2kg.
- Price/Availability: $599 exclusively from Officeworks from mid-February.