The Last of Us one numerous Game of the Year awards when it was released way back in 2013, and a new sharper version is set to hit Sony's PlayStation 4 in a matter of months.
The game will be priced at US$59.99, according to Amazon, and will also include in-game cinematic commentary from the voices of Joel and Ellie — Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, respectively — and creative director Neil Druckmann.
It will feature 1080p, as well as higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, and other gameplay tweaks. Additional content includes the Abandoned Territories Map Pack, Reclaimed Territories Map Pack, and single-player campaign The Last of Us: Left Behind.
"Well, it’s no secret that we have been working night and day at the studio to bring The Last of Us to PS4. We’re calling it The Last of Us Remastered," said Naughty Dog's Arne Meyer in a blog post.
"Moving our efforts to the PS4 has allowed us to remaster an already phenomenal looking The Last of Us in 1080p with a list of upgrades including higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, upgraded textures, along with even more improvements. We love setting challenging technical hurdles for us when working on each game – and this is no different.
"We’ve been working hard on The Last of Us Remastered to release a next-gen evolution worthy of the 200+ Game of the Year awards, not to mention the acclaim and expectations of our fans. We will be revealing more detailed information about the upgrades for the PS4 version in the coming months.
The game's Creative Director Neil Druckmann has also taken to Twitter to add that Naughty Dog is targeting 60 framers per second for the game.
Those who pre-order the game now through retailers will receive the following bonuses:
- 100 Supply Points (XP) for use in Factions mode
- Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single player campaign
- Increased Crafting Speed for use in the single-player campaign
- Increased Healing Speed for use in the single-player campaign
- 9mm Reload Speed Increase Upgrade for use in the single-player campaign
- Rifle Clip Capacity Increase Upgrade for use in the single-player campaign
Pre-ordering the game from the PlayStation Store, meanwhile, will give players the following unlocks in the Factions multiplayer:
- Early Access to the Brawler Survival Skill in Factions mode
- Early Access to additional Loadout Points for use in Factions mode
- Early Access to the Jeep Cap and Surgical Mask for use in Factions mode
- Banner ads were spotted earlier today on the official PlayStation Network Store, while the PlayStation 4 edition was confirmed by president of Worldwide Studios of Sony Computer Entertainment Shuhei Yoshida via Twitter.
It's unclear at this stage whether these bonuses are just for US customers, though usually Aussie gamers receive similar benefits if they pre-order.
For more, see Sony's blog post on the news here.