It uses Android and has full access to Google Play to expand functionality to include streaming video/music, games, and other apps on its 4.7”, 1280 x 720 display. The unit is 128.9 x 75.9 x 12.7mm x 200g. It uses micro-USB charging.
The player has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 aptX, is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, and has 32GB storage and dual microSD card slots giving total available storage up 432GBs. ESS technology ES9018K2M x 2 and SABRE 9601K DAC x 2 produces the highest quality audio for High Res audio and existing compressed audio library and streaming sources.
To avoid interference, the unit has two separate motherboards – one for the Android engine and one for the sound engine. It has isolated 2.5mm and 3.5mm audio sockets.
- Parts selection and circuit board design were are claimed to be calculated to provide the best signal and bring out the best performance of music with support for playback up to 11.2MHz DSD and 384kHz/24bit WAV and FLAC, and MQA.
- Incorporates dual ESS Technology’s SABRE DAC “ES9018K2M” paired to SABRE “9601K” amps to create dynamic yet clear sound with good S/N.
- Balanced output with two forms of balanced drive available. Along with standard BTL balance output, Active Control GND allows the two DAC outputs to work in tandem for L-GND/R-GND “0V” lock to eliminate distortion.
- Separated DAC/AMP circuit board and Android CPU circuit board, to limit digital noise from affecting the audio circuitry.
- Consideration against noise by positioning the switching circuitry and analogue circuits as far away as possible within, and placing the analogue circuits as close to the headphone jacks.
- Fast Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU.
- Club Sound Boost using balanced output in the EQ settings (audio sources will get mixed to 48kHz).
- Balanced output, digital output through Micro USB/OTG support allows for output via the headphone jack and peripheral connections.
- The 2.5mm 4 pole balanced headphone (BTL balance mode/Active Control GND mode/Line out mode) allows for different kinds of high-resolution sound depending on preference.
- 3.5mm stereo mini output (w/Line out mode).
- Micro USB/OTG digital output supports up to DSD 11.2MHz and 384kHz/24bit (DoP/Direct Transfer/PCM conversion).
- High-quality audio via wireless inc aptX support for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct.
- Access to Google Play opens up the XDP-300R’s capabilities beyond what’s built in, by adding apps for streaming music, video, and games.
- Playback support for “MQA”, the end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that is small enough to stream or download, fully authenticated.
- Support for up to 432GB (32GB internal + dual microSD).
- Direct download of music from OnkyoMusic service without the need of a PC.
- Six built-in sound adjustment (Lock range adjust, digital filter, upsampling, Realtime DSD conversion, High Precision EQ, Club Sound Boost).
- Physical buttons for all transport controls for “no look” operation.
- Vertical UI for quick access to playlists and EQ settings, and Artwork mode UI for full-colour album art and all on-screen controls located near the bottom.
- Easy music file transfers from your PC or Mac with “X-DAP link” software*8.
- Volume knob with 161 step positions.
- Selectable volume lock setting On/Off when display is off.
- Gain settings to better match a wide range of headphones(Low2/Low1/Normal/High).
- Rigid machined aluminium body design.
- Custom case “XDP-APU300” and Glass screen protector “DPA-GL033” options available.
The manual is here.
Price and availability are to be confirmed but expect around $1000. It is distributed in Australia by Powermove.