LG Australia sponsors Dire Wolves - a group of young, “elite athletes” that have prowess in gaming.
Russ Prendergast, marketing manager of LG Electronics Australia, said, “The eSports industry is worth around US$1 billion now and is growing. LG needs to be part of that, and we are pleased to release three new ultra-wide, Ultra HD monitors that meets the needs of gaming professionals, home enthusiasts as well as graphics and other professionals.”
The new IPS LED models include:
- 27UD88 – 27”, 4K UHD, 16:9, 3840 x 2160, flat at A$1299
- 34UC88 – 34”, WQHD, 21:9, 3440 x 1440, curved at $1499
- 34UM88C – 34”, WQHD, 21:9, 3440 x 1440, flat at $1499
All offer “game features” that are also highly applicable to commercial use. Prendergast said, “The finance industry has embraced the 34UC88 curved monitor for its ‘real estate’ and split screen ability. Graphic artists use the 34UMC88 flat monitor for its space and 99% sRGB colour capability that is tuned in our factory and can be easily customised by an onscreen, mouse driven, menu.”
The game features include:
- AMD FreeSync – taking full use of the 144Hz refresh capability to eliminate tearing and stuttering.
- Game mode pre-sets including First Person Shooter (FPS) 1 and 2, Real-time shooter (RTS) and custom mode.
- Black Stabiliser to enhance visibility and details in dark scenes.
- Dynamic Action Sync reduces video lag.
The monitors feature an ArcLine base that allows for tilt (5-20°), and height (120mm) including landscape and portrait mode or that can be set up in multiscreen as they have very narrow bezels and VESA mounting compatibility.
Commercial users are taking advantage of the 21:9 ultra-wide screens using two, three or four virtual screens as well as picture-in-picture on the one monitor. It has been a long time coming, but the on-screen mouse control of the setup app is innovative.
Specifications vary by model but include:
- HDMI 2.0 (and HDCP)
- DisplayPort 1.2
- Audio out
- USB 3.0 upstream
- USB 3.0 x 2 downstream (on has 2.1A charging)
- 2 x 7W MaxxAudio speakers (34” only)
The 27UD88 includes USB-C for 4K video, mobile/laptop charging (60W) and data transfer – simply plug a USB-C tablet or laptop in, and you have a video dock.
Prendergast mentioned more models would be coming later this year.
Below is a four monitor setup – regrettably it won’t fit on my desk!