Amazon, which offers an SVOD product called Prime, today announced that it has expanded the service to allow video downloads for offline viewing on iOS and Android devices.
The Amazon announcement throws out a challenge to the growing number of competitors in the SVOD content space, none of which allow downloads.
Amazon’s Prime members in the US, UK, Germany and Austria will now be able to download movies and TV episodes to iPhones, iPads and Android phones and tablets for offline viewing, at no additional charge.
“Amazon Video is the only online subscription streaming video service that enables downloads of titles, meaning unlike other subscription streaming services such as Netflix, Prime members can enjoy movies and TV shows as part of their membership even when they don’t have an internet connection available,” the company said in a statement.
- Drama series such as the Amazon Original Series Bosch based on Michael Connelly’s best-selling books; the Starz miniseries The White Queen; and hit network shows including 24, Covert Affairs, Downton Abbey, Extant, Grimm, Hannibal, Justified, Mr. Selfridge, Orphan Black, Sons of Anarchy, Teen Wolf, The Americans, The Good Wife, Suits, Under the Dome, Veronica Mars, Vikings, and many more
- Comedy series including Amazon’s series Transparent, the Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartzman comedy Mozart in the Jungle, and the critically acclaimed comedy created by and starring Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan, Catastrophe
- Binge series such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Girls, Veep, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom, and True Blood, among others
- Kids shows exclusive for Prime members including Amazon Original Series Wishenpoof!, Creative Galaxy, the 2015 Annie Award-winning animated series for preschoolers Tumble Leaf, the live-action kids series Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street, and Annedroids
- Blockbuster movies including Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Star Trek Into Darkness, The Captive, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and The Wolf of Wall Street, in addition to exclusives such as Life After Beth, Palo Alto, Starred Up, The Bling Ring, If I Stay, and The Spectacular Now
“There’s no doubt that the way people watch entertainment is changing—anytime, anywhere viewing is important and we are excited to provide our Prime members with offline viewing capabilities on iOS and Android platforms starting today,” stated Michael Paull, Vice President of Digital Video at Amazon. “We are proud to be the first and only online subscription streaming service that enables offline viewing—on vacation, in a car, at the beach, on a plane, wherever our Prime members want to watch they can, regardless of internet connection.”
The Amazon Video app for iOS has been updated to include Prime Video downloads. For more details on what’s new and to download the app, visit: https://amzn.to/1IBFZlU.
The Amazon Video app for Android is newly redesigned as a standalone video app to provide Android users with an improved in-app entertainment experience, including the ability to download titles from Prime Video. To learn more about what’s new and to download the app, visit: https://www.amazon.com/GetAndroidVideo.