While others idle away time on Facebook or watching TV, Canadian chartered accountant Cary Walkin has been working on a potential hit videogame during study breaks in Toronto.
The only difference is the game is not for Xbox or PS3... it's for Microsoft Excel.
Walkin’s game is known as Arena.Xlsm and is a free, turn-based fantasy game with four different endings, eight bosses and 31 spells.
Arena.Xlsm has been tested to work on PC versions of Microsoft Excel including Excel 2007, and Excel 2010. It should also work on Excel 2013 although Walkin says he has not been able to extensively test it.
Arena.Xlsm will not work on Mac versions of Microsoft Excel.
- Random enemies: Over 2000 possible enemies with different AI abilities.
- Random items: 39 item modifiers result in over 1000 possible item combinations and attributes.
- An interesting story with 4 different endings depending on how the player has played the game.
- 8 boss encounters, each with their own tactics.
- 4 pre-programmed arenas followed by procedurally generated arenas. Each play-through has its own challenges.
- 31 Spells. There are many different strategies for success.
- 15 Unique items. Unique items have special properties and can only drop from specific enemies.
- 36 Achievements.
- This is all in a Microsoft Excel workbook.
Check out Walkin's magnum opus for yourself here.