Oracle's Helidon 2.0 has now hit general availability, and provides these features and benefits to microservices software developers:
- Simple to use and fast - a collection of libraries and reactive Web Server running on a Netty core.
- Choice of programming styles: Helidon SE - for functional programming with full transparency and developer control, and Helidon MP - for declarative programming, leveraging MicroProfile and Jakarta EE standard APIs.
- Observability and resilience through health checks, metrics, tracing and fault tolerance
- The option to compile Java applications using GraalVM Native Image, creating native images with extremely fast startup and small footprint.
- The benefits of an open-source project with continuous updates, a fast release cadence, and flexible licensing - combined with options for enterprise support from Oracle.
- Helidon MP GraalVM Native Image support in Helidon 2.0 adds to the existing Helidon SE GraalVM Native Image support, bringing GraalVM Native Image startup and memory consumption benefits to MicroProfile developers.
- Easy generation of jlink custom runtime images including support for CDS archives for improved startup performance.
- Jakarta WebSocket support is added to both Helidon SE and Helidon MP
- Helidon MP adds MicroProfile Reactive Streams Operators and MicroProfile Reactive Streams Messaging.
- Helidon 2.0 supports Java SE 11, enabling developers to take full advantage of the new features offered in this Java SE release.
Helidon 2.0 also adds early access features that are ready for developer use:
- A new Helidon command-line tool (CLI) will help create Helidon projects, manage dependencies, and build applications using different packaging profiles - jar, native-image and jlink image.
- Helidon SE provides a complete reactive framework with new Reactive Streams and Reactive Messaging features.
- A new Helidon DB client for Helidon SE provides a reactive non-blocking database client that can be used with existing blocking JDBC drivers and also supports the MongoDB reactive driver.
- Helidon SE adds a new reactive Helidon Web client for non-blocking HTTP access to external services.
Oracle also announced the availability of a free, open-source Coherence Community Edition.