A statement from the company said security had also been approved with updates to two-factor authentication, making it easier to use through notifications and more secure by allowing sysadmins to enforce the policy.
The Nextcloud Social app allows communication between users and also provided organisations to build an enterprise social network.
Nextcloud servers are now able to join the fediverse, an interconnected and decentralised network of independently operated servers communicating through the Activity Pub standard.
Other improvements in the new release include:
- design improvements, introducing a new grid view with large file previews, improved text readability with a new font, updated button and tab design and accessibility improvements;
- two new workflow apps, enabling easy PDF conversion and running scripted operations on files when specified conditions are met;
- a much improved Dashboard app giving users a quick overview of the day;
- updates to Nextcloud Talk including new notification settings, ability to invite email addresses to conversations, integration in the Nextcloud sidebar and more;
- rewritten dashboard app with new widgets API for developers;
- updated Android app with direct editing files with Collabora, sharing files to a Talk room, hiding download option when sharing, adding notes to shares, and search in files;
- updated iOS app with direct editing files with Collabora, video/photo taking in the app, and offline file handling; and
- a 2-3x faster loading of the web interface, among other performance improvements.