"Over the next few months we expect to stabilise the implementations while we take feedback from our user and customer base," Jos Poortvliet, Nextcloud marketing manager said.
The encryption in Nextcloud
- can encrypt data on a per-folder level rather than all-or-nothing approach;
- does not require users to remember or exchange passwords;
- does not require re-uploading data upon sharing;
- features an optional off-line administrator recovery key;
- allows full audit logging;
- can be combined with our file access control feature so administrator can enforce aspects of end-to-end encryption; and
- protects from identity theft using cryptographic identity protection.
Company founder and managing director Frank Karlitschek said: "Nextcloud 13 sets the bar high in an environment where many vendors still believe just syncing files suffices for modern organisations. Our forward-looking development strategy is the reason behind our meteoric rise in the market.
Nextcloud Talk offers:
- real-time and asynchronous communication with push notifications, calls and chat on any device;
- integration in business workflow with calendar invitations and calls directly from Nextcloud Files;
- screen and note sharing with participant moderation capabilities; and
- secure peer-to-peer, end-to-end encrypted calls, mediated by a self-hosted server.
"Nextcloud Talk lowers the barriers to self-hosting a privacy-respecting audio/video communication service for home users and enterprises alike", said Poortvliet.
"Business users have optional access to the Spreed High Performance Back-end offering enterprise-class scalability, reliability, and features through a Nextcloud subscription."
Nextcloud was set up as a fork from another similar company, ownCloud, last year.