It features text chat and is available for the Web and mobile.
The main features of Nextcloud Talk:
- It has mobile apps for Android and iOS and browser support allows private and public calls, and does not require users to have an account or install any software to join a call.
- Participants can receive calendar invitations and reminders.
- The screen sharing feature allows participants to present content while links and notes can be shared in the side chat bar.
- A moderator can invite, mute and remove participants as needed.
- Calls are peer-to-peer and end-to-end encrypted. Chat is exchanged encrypted with logs stored on the Nextcloud Talk server.
- It is fully integrated with Nextcloud Files and Nextcloud Groupware enables collaboration.
"Nextcloud Talk lowers the barrier to self-hosting a privacy-respecting audio/video communication service for home users and enterprises alike," said Frank Karlitschek, managing director at Nextcloud.
The Spreed High Performance Back-end for large organisations is offered by Nextcloud partner Struktur AG, a leading Web conferencing software company which has been servicing customers like Deutsche Bank, Vodafone and BNP Paribas since 1995.
It offers improved connectivity behind firewalls, restrictive networks, and can accommodate unlimited participants in a call. A SIP gate allows participants to join through a dial-in conference line, wherever they are.
"With the mobile Talk apps, users can now receive push notifications when others call them, and pick up easily", said Mario Danic, an Android engineer at Nextcloud. "Running the infrastructure for that yourself ensures the absolute confidentiality of your communication, as even metadata does not leak to anyone else."
Nextcloud was set up as a fork from another similar company, ownCloud, last year.
Screenshot: courtesy Nextcloud.