Tuesday, 01 October 2019 02:01

Digital Tasmania critical of west coast mobile services upgrade limited to one mobile operator- Telstra Featured

By

Non-profit consumer action group Digital Tasmania has decried the fact that a $5.2 million investment to upgrade mobile services in Tasmania's west coast region has been limited to just one mobile operator – Telstra.

The criticism by Digital Tasmania follows the government’s announcement on Monday of its investment of $790,000 in a joint project with Telstra to improve mobile coverage and increase mobile network capacity in Tasmania’s west coast region.

Despite welcoming the investment, Digital Tasmania spokesperson John Allan criticised the funding decision, saying that “other major mobile providers - Optus and Vodafone - received nothing, and what’s more there’s no conditions on this funding to allow them access”.

“This recent handout from the government for mobile coverage is akin to picking winners, where one commercial provider and their customers benefit, but other providers and their customers miss out,” Allan said.

“Previous rounds of the Mobile Blackspot program have operated in this way where the winning companies were also not compelled to share new towers or enable roaming with other providers, apart from usual commercial terms which heavily favour the existing provider.”

Digital Tasmania cited recent figures it said showed that Telstra has a 42% share of the mobile phone market in Australia with Optus, Vodafone and other players representing the remaining 58%.

And Digital Tasmania says there’s anecdotal evidence that in Tasmania Telstra’s market share is higher for historical reasons - however it’s likely that tourists from interstate visiting the West Coast aren’t Telstra customers.

According to Digital Tasmania, Government investment in expanding mobile coverage by any one provider is helpful in the case where people need to dial Triple Zero in an emergency, and if the subscribers network isn’t available the call will be routed through any other available network.

“We’d like to see more focus on providing better mobile coverage for all consumers that avoids duplication of infrastructure at a cost to the taxpayer,” Allan said.

“Government funding to resolve blackspots should be aimed at building tower sites that provide access to all telcos on an equal basis. Similarly, in the past there have been capacity swaps and roaming deals which allow customers of one carrier to use the tower belonging to another carrier, which could potentially deliver results faster at a lower cost.

“Ultimately this issue is about government picking winners and reducing a consumer’s choice when they want to live in or travel to remote areas.” Allan concluded.

CHIEF DATA & ANALYTICS OFFICER BRISBANE 2020

26-27 February 2020 | Hilton Brisbane

Connecting the region’s leading data analytics professionals to drive and inspire your future strategy

Leading the data analytics division has never been easy, but now the challenge is on to remain ahead of the competition and reap the massive rewards as a strategic executive.

Do you want to leverage data governance as an enabler?Are you working at driving AI/ML implementation?

Want to stay abreast of data privacy and AI ethics requirements? Are you working hard to push predictive analytics to the limits?

With so much to keep on top of in such a rapidly changing technology space, collaboration is key to success. You don't need to struggle alone, network and share your struggles as well as your tips for success at CDAO Brisbane.

Discover how your peers have tackled the very same issues you face daily. Network with over 140 of your peers and hear from the leading professionals in your industry. Leverage this community of data and analytics enthusiasts to advance your strategy to the next level.

Download the Agenda to find out more

DOWNLOAD NOW!

Peter Dinham

Peter Dinham is a co-founder of iTWire and a 35-year veteran journalist and corporate communications consultant. He has worked as a journalist in all forms of media – newspapers/magazines, radio, television, press agency and now, online – including with the Canberra Times, The Examiner (Tasmania), the ABC and AAP-Reuters. As a freelance journalist he also had articles published in Australian and overseas magazines. He worked in the corporate communications/public relations sector, in-house with an airline, and as a senior executive in Australia of the world’s largest communications consultancy, Burson-Marsteller. He also ran his own communications consultancy and was a co-founder in Australia of the global photographic agency, the Image Bank (now Getty Images).

VENDOR NEWS & EVENTS

REVIEWS

Recent Comments