Security Market Segment LS
Thursday, 02 June 2011 13:16

Survey: cybercrime is greatest source of risk to business


A recent survey of 250 Australian businesses found that their greatest fear was some kind of cyber attack; exceeding their fear of terrorism and natural disasters.

Presented with a list of seven potential threats by the instigators of Symantec's latest "State of Security" study, the senior-level IT and C-level executives surveyed made Cyber Attack a clear leader, followed by internal IT 'stuff-ups,' then internal IT threats, traditional criminal activity, brand-related events, natural disasters and finally terrorism.

Interestingly, 'terrorism' was not only last, it was a very distant last.

With this in mind, 37% of respondents indicated that securing their IT infrastructure was more important to them than it was a year ago (oddly, 11% indicated that it was less important).

When asked about the specific drivers to this increased awareness of security, a clear majority pointed to the rise of mobile computing as the most important trend.

Within the past year, 67% saw cyber attacks on their infrastructure (presumably the other 33% weren't looking).  Twenty one percent said that the attack frequency was increasing.  Larger organisations were more likely to see cyber attacks at 73 percent, compared to 63 percent of SMBs.

"High profile IT exploits witnessed throughout 2011 demonstrate that criminals are going after valuable targets around the world, a trend that is reflected in the study's finding that larger businesses report a greater prevalence of attacks," said Steve Martin, director, SMB, Pacific region, Symantec.

"The challenge for many businesses is finding the right balance of leveraging productivity-enhancing innovations like mobile computing, social media, the consumerisation of IT, cloud computing and virtualisation whilst not comprising on their levels of cybersecurity. The best approach for any business facing these security challenges is to apply the same levels of security and management to all endpoints - whether mobile, on premise or in the cloud - without exception," added Martin.

The 2010 global version of the survey may be downloaded from the Synmantec website; presumably the 2011 report will be available soon.

According to Symantec; Symantec debuted the State of Security Study in 2010 and this year has expanded the report to include small and mid-sized businesses as well. Applied Research fielded this survey on behalf of Symantec by telephone in April 2011. Of the Australian organisations surveyed, 150 organisations had between 5-499 employees and the remaining 100 had 500 employees or more. The survey has a reliability of 95 percent confidence with +/- 6.2 percent margin of error.

Subscribe to ITWIRE UPDATE Newsletter here

Active Vs. Passive DWDM Solutions

An active approach to your growing optical transport network & connectivity needs.

Building dark fibre network infrastructure using WDM technology used to be considered a complex challenge that only carriers have the means to implement.

This has led many enterprises to build passive networks, which are inferior in quality and ultimately limit their future growth.

Why are passive solutions considered inferior? And what makes active solutions great?

Read more about these two solutions, and how PacketLight fits into all this.


WEBINAR INVITE 8th & 10th September: 5G Performing At The Edge

Don't miss the only 5G and edge performance-focused event in the industry!

Edge computing will play a critical part within digital transformation initiatives across every industry sector. It promises operational speed and efficiency, improved customer service, and reduced operational costs.

This coupled with the new capabilities 5G brings opens up huge opportunities for both network operators and enterprise organisations.

But these technologies will only reach their full potential with assured delivery and performance – with a trust model in place.

With this in mind, we are pleased to announce a two-part digital event, sponsored by Accedian, on the 8th & 10th of September titled 5G: Performing at the Edge.


David Heath

David Heath has had a long and varied career in the IT industry having worked as a Pre-sales Network Engineer (remember Novell NetWare?), General Manager of IT&T for the TV Shopping Network, as a Technical manager in the Biometrics industry, and as a Technical Trainer and Instructional Designer in the industrial control sector. In all aspects, security has been a driving focus. Throughout his career, David has sought to inform and educate people and has done that through his writings and in more formal educational environments.

Share News tips for the iTWire Journalists? Your tip will be anonymous




Guest Opinion

Guest Interviews

Guest Reviews

Guest Research

Guest Research & Case Studies

Channel News