Home Business IT Cloud Xero claims MYOB exodus swelling customer base

The managing director of cloud accounting company Xero has cast doubt on MYOB's claim to have the largest online user base in Australia, and says his company is attracting hundreds of users away from MYOB every week.

iTWire reported earlier today that Xero had claimed that its 120,000 Australian customers made it the leading online accounting solution in the country and that MYOB had responded with figures implying it could have more than a quarter of a million paying customers.

"It's not the first time we've seen MYOB take a very broad view," said Xero Australia managing director Chris Ridd, suggesting that MYOB's figures could include non-accounting products or services. These would include MYOB's Atlas web hosting operation.

Mr Ridd said Xero is signing up more than 400 new Australian customers per day. While 40% of them are adopting accounting software for the first time (ie, they are either new businesses or are switching from paper-based systems), most of the other 60% are former MYOB users.

"We continue to erode MYOB's market share in Australia," he claimed.

An MYOB spokesperson again declined to provide actual user numbers for the company's various cloud-based accounting products, saying "52% of all new MYOB product registrations in December 2013 were for cloud accounting, up from 25% in December 2012. MYOB has driven double digit growth through rapid client adoption of cloud solutions."

Mr Ridd suggested MYOB's lack of transparency in this matter was a result of the company being privately owned, whereas Xero is a listed company that is required to meet disclosure rules.

LEARN NBN TRICKS AND TRAPS WITH FREE NBN SURVIVAL GUIDE

Did you know: Key business communication services may not work on the NBN?

Would your office survive without a phone, fax or email?

Avoid disruption and despair for your business.

Learn the NBN tricks and traps with your FREE 10-page NBN Business Survival Guide

The NBN Business Survival Guide answers your key questions:

· When can I get NBN?
· Will my business phones work?
· Will fax & EFTPOS be affected?
· How much will NBN cost?
· When should I start preparing?

DOWNLOAD NOW!

Stephen Withers

joomla visitors

Stephen Withers is one of Australia¹s most experienced IT journalists, having begun his career in the days of 8-bit 'microcomputers'. He covers the gamut from gadgets to enterprise systems. In previous lives he has been an academic, a systems programmer, an IT support manager, and an online services manager. Stephen holds an honours degree in Management Sciences and a PhD in Industrial and Business Studies.

 

 

 

 

Connect

Join the iTWire Community and be part of the latest news, invites to exclusive events, whitepapers and educational materials and oppertunities.
Why do I want to receive this daily update?
  • The latest features from iTWire
  • Free whitepaper downloads
  • Industry opportunities