SydStart says it has cemented Sydney’s position as Australia’s ‘startup capital’, with the richest lineup of speakers at any Australian tech conference to date to reinforce Sydney as Australia’s hub of entrepreneurship and innovation - having had its tickets sold out for five years in a row.
Running for two full days on the 29th and 30th of October 2015 at Sydney’s iconic Town Hall on George St, next to the QVB, #SydStart will be ‘packed with activities, including exhibitions, pitching competitions, a hackathon, masterclasses and more.’
Indeed, SydStart’s organisers promise it will be ‘the ultimate destination for entrepreneurs to exchange ideas and network with investors, marketers, and innovators at the forefront of the technology industry.’
To add to SydStart’s lustre comes what is arguably the world’s most successful and notorious disruptor par excellence: Uber. The transportation sector maverick will debut UberPITCH at Sydney, enabling ‘Uber riders with a business idea to simply open their apps, slide over to the “UberPITCH” view, and request a ride.’
If the request is accepted, riders will have the opportunity to pitch an idea to industry leading judges. Top pitches will be featured on a new web series, presented by Yellow Brick Road chairman Mark Bouris, where entrants win funding, mentorships and an overseas trip.
Here are the supplied details on the pitch competition, the masterclasses, the hackathon, the expo, the speaker sessions, and the top-notch, world-class speakers and judges at the event, as per SydStart:
- Entrepreneurs at SydStart will have the opportunity to pitch their ideas to celebrity judges. 8 finalists will share the main stage with world class speakers to pitch their startups in front of 2000+ people.
- With the invaluable media and press attention for the winning teams, this opportunity could quickly take one small startup to the next level. The judges are the movers and shakers of the investing community, who have a sharp eye for spotting the next big startup.
- Top prizes include 120k in hosting credits from Softlayer, 2 Virtual Office package prizes for 6 months, worth $4500 from SERVCORP, and the ability to fast track through Muru-D's accelerator program and mentorship with Craig Lambert.
- Plus $1000 credits to use on Freelancer.com to work on anything from design to development and grow their startup.
- Startups can enter the Startup Pitch competition here.
- The first edition of the educational Masterclass is specifically designed to help attendees fast-track their startups and supercharge growth.
- The workshops will be sized to allow individual queries to be answered, and entrepreneurs to learn in a relaxed setting.
- Masters include:
- Mick Liubinskas (co-founder Pollenizer, investor- Startmate, entrepreneur in residence- Muru-D.),
- Sarah Dods (Executive Manager, Strategy, Marketing & Innovation CSIRO),
- Rick Baker (Co-founder Blackbird Ventures), and
- Gavin Appel (Venture Partner- Square Peg Capital)
- Freelancer is celebrating the release of its API and want Australian techies to be a part of it.
- The Freelancer.com API allows anyone to leverage their technology and marketplace consisting of more than 17 million freelancers to build marketplace apps and businesses.
- By participating in the 2 day Hackathon, entrepreneurs can build desktop apps, mobile apps, and anything else they can think of - all powered by freelancer’s technology and marketplace.
- The possibilities are endless!
- Up for grabs are cash prizes totalling $50,000 and $5,000 Amazon AWS credits.
- Exhibition: Some of the biggest tech names in Australia will be exhibiting, providing an interactive space for networking and product interaction. Exhibitors include: Salesforce, Softlayer, Microsoft, Envato, Canva, Anchor Hosting, ASX, and many more.
- Startup alley: Exhibition space for high growth startups to showcase and amplify their ideas.
Speaker Sessions: Riveting talks from a world class list of technology industry speakers, listed below.
- Tech mavericks from across the world and home grown Aussie talent
- 9GAG’s Ray Chan
- The Godfather of Growth Hacking Sean Ellis
- Founder of the world’s largest Creative Ecosystem - Envato, Cyan Ta’eed
- Landing Page Optimization guru Oli Gardner
- CEO & Founder of hijup.com Diajeng Lestari
- Freelancer.com’s CEO Matt Barrie
- and many more
SYDSTART AND UBERPITCH JUDGES
- Yellow Brick Road Chairman Mark Bouris
- Appliance king John Winning of Appliances Online
- Mick Liubinskas, Entrepreneur in Residence
- Melissa Widner Venture Partner- One Ventures
- Bill Bartee, Managing Director of Blackbird Ventures
- Craig Lambert, Co-founder at Slingshot Investments
- Craig Blair, Partner at AirTree Ventures
- Benjamin Chong, Founder Right Click Capital
- Freelancer CEO Matt Barrie
- Co-creator of successful global fashion label Sass & Bide Sarah Jane-Clarke
- Australian business icon and AirTree Ventures Co-Founder Daniel Petre
- PR guru Roxy Jacenko of Sweaty Betty
Freelancer Limited’s CEO and Chairman Matt Barrie said: “For the last five years, SydStart has become what I think is the best technology conference in the country and I am really excited we are taking it to a whole next level this year. With international growth and marketing all-stars in attendance in Sydney this October, SydStart is set to be a truly insightful lineup for any startups, entrepreneurs and tech people in the region.”