Join.me's survey covered 2,000 respondents in Australia, New Zealand, US, UK, Canada, Germany and France, so don't write this off as a list of strange things that happen overseas.
1. Dress the part: a surprisingly high 17% of respondents said they had seen someone dressed inappropriately. A business shirt or blouse over pyjama bottoms doesn't cut it.
2. Stay out of bed: more than 6% have seen someone taking a video conference from their bed. About the only excuse we can think of is that they were in a budget hotel room that lacked a desk and chair.
4. Stay out of the bathroom: we found this hard to believe, but 6% claimed to have seen someone taking a VC from their WC.
5. Don't pick your nose: didn't your mum tell you that?
6. No pets: 16% reported seeing an attendee's pet make an unexpected cameo. Working from home at least part of the time is becoming so common in Australia that we'd be surprised if this bothered people as much as the other faux pas on the list, but it's best to avoid interruptions and disruptions as much as you possibly can.
7. No strange sounds: we're talking bodily noises. If all else fails, mute your microphone.
You can download join.me's ebook 'The Top Do's and Don'ts of Video Conferencing', which includes more tips for participants.
In related news, join.me has released a new video conferencing app.