At $119.99 this is a premium product that bridges the gap between no-name headphones and premium – with the emphasis on the latter. It will work with any Bluetooth enabled device – smartphones, tablets, smart TVs and computers.
Peter Petrides, national retail sales manager, Australia and New Zealand at Plantronics, said, “More and more consumers today are ditching the cord and are ready to step up to a wireless listening experience. At the same time, they are unwilling to compromise on the high standards that come with a wired connection.”
"The BackBeat 500 Series is designed to be your perfect first pair of wireless headphones that provide an exceptional experience without breaking the bank. With best-in-class battery life, all-day comfort and Plantronics’ signature high-quality audio, they bring simplicity and reliability to those who are looking to transition into the world of the wireless,” he added.
- BackBeat PRO 2, critically acclaimed wireless headphones with on-demand active noise cancellation; iTWire's review is here.
- BackBeat FIT, waterproof and sweatproof wireless sports headphones that meet the IP57 rating featuring a unique, safety-oriented design and a stable fit regardless of activity level;
- BackBeat GO 3, wireless stereo earbuds designed from the ground up, and ear out, to provide vivid, high-res audio quality;
- BackBeat SENSE, smart on-ear wireless headphones with sensor technology;
- BackBeat 100 Series, hybrid neckband wireless headphones with an ultra-light design for easy all-day wear. Each features the ability to make phone calls in addition to enjoy music.
The BackBeat 505 features:
- Stream up to 10 metres with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity.
- 2 x 40mm drivers
- On-ear cups rotate to lay flat for compact storage in a bag or backpack.
- Compatible with Siri, Cortana, Google Now and more
- On-ear controls play/pause, skip tracks, adjust volume, and easily take call
- DeepSleep hibernation mode helps maintain battery charge for up to six months when your headphones are out of range or left on.
- The 3.5 mm jack and included analogue cable can be plugged in as a backup without disrupting your listening experience.
- Automatically connect two devices simultaneously and pair up to a total of eight devices.
These don’t have active noise cancellation but the on-ear design helps with sound isolation. Note that people with occlusion issues or the Lombard effect may need over-the-ear headphones like the Backbeat Pro.
Pricing and Availability
BackBeat 500 Series is available today in three colours – white, grey and dark grey at JB Hi-Fi and Harvey Norman for $119.99.