The ‘Mini’ will run the S4 SamDroid (TouchWiz 5.0) version of Jelly Bean Android but that is where the similarity ends.
Specs include (S4 in brackets for comparison)
- 4.3 “, 960x540, 256ppi (5” full HD)
- 1.7GHz dual core with Adreno 305 GPU (Exynos 5 Octa 8 core or 1.9GHz quad core)
- 1.9MP front and 8MP rear camera (13MP)
- 2GB ram, 8GB storage (same and 16/32/64GB)
- MicroSD card slot for up to 64GB (same)
- 4G model available (same)
- 1900 mAh battery (2600 mAh)
- 107g (130g)
- Supports S4 features like eye tracking, gesture control, IR blaster, NFC, Bluetooth 4, Wi-Fi N, GPS/GLONASS etc.
Samsung dominate the smartphone market and will sell squillions of these simply trading off the S4 name. It is not ‘lying” but its stretching the truth. Still if competitors like Apple can sell a phone without referring to specifications then who am I to argue. In any case it is the software that makes this phone special - see iTWire article.
I have been analysing the smartphone market and this move makes sense – the S4 has been so popular that it has supply issues, it is still expensive to make and in any case the far lower cost mini is more likely to outperform any iPhone refresh.
The phone will be released on June 20 in London and will take a few months to reach Australia.