With so many people owning mobile phones and mobile phone numbers, the news is the when 04 numbers run out, ACMA will supply Aussies with 100m mobile numbers starting with 05.
It’s not new, of course – several years ago I had an 05 008 54321 number, a number so awesomely cool that sometimes people simply didn’t believe it, and a number that Telstra was awesomely stupid enough to charge at different rates to regular mobile numbers.
Telstra completely botched its “05 One Number” service, it was clearly from a time when David Thodey wasn’t in charge and the NBN was but a twinkle in nobody’s eye (not even Raving Dudd’s), but as time has moved on and mobile have gone massively mega, the dawn of the 05 is set to come alive once again – this time, in 2017.
The news has come forth via Fairfax Media which appears to have had advance notice of the changes, as they don’t yet appear anywhere on ACMA’s own site.
The Fairfax report is worth reading as it goes into further detail about other planned telephone number changes, including the interesting stat that, currently, about 60% of the combination of “04” numbers has been used, clearly indicating that it will take about 5 years to 2017 for the other 40% to be allocated.