But in a piece of good news for retailers, a massive 82% said they would buy up to twice as much from retailers that offered a convenient delivery option. The data comes from survey commissioned by parcel pickup service ParcelPoint and conducted by market research company CoreData.
The survey involved 800 Australian online shoppers and was conducted in October of this year. It showed that the "last mile" of actually getting goods to a preferred destination and having to be physically present, or have someone sign for them when they arrive, was becoming more of a stumbling block for a growing number of Australian online shoppers. With the growth of online shopping, this issue is set to increase.
Key findings of the survey:
- 80% of online shoppers have experienced issues with missed deliveries.
- 50% have issues receiving personal deliveries at work.
- Poor delivery experience discourages 59% of online shoppers from buying again from the same retailer.
- 39% of bricks-and-mortar shoppers highlight inconvenient delivery times and options as a barrier to shopping online.
- 86% of online shoppers would buy more online if there was no chance of a missed delivery.
- 20% say they would increase their online spend by more than 50% if there was no chance of a missed delivery.
- 85% would use an extended hours parcel collection point to receive online purchases.
- 82% say they would buy more from online retailers offering extended hours collection points.
ParcelPoint CEO Adam McArthur said the survey had some revealed some surprising numbers. “We knew that there were almost 50 million missed deliveries in Australia annually, but this survey showed that more than 80% of online shoppers have had this experience,” he said.
“Responses from surveyed consumers who claimed frustration with missed deliveries, or with their workplace banning personal deliveries, indicate an even greater problem than we expected. But there’s some great news for retailers in this survey, which shows customers are willing to spend twice as much with online stores that provide a convenient solution,” he said.