Through a consultative approach Green IT Partners has guided AusAID through the detailed mandatory and recommended steps of this plan:
- Identification of the strategic value opportunities applicable to AusAID environment.
- Actions that needed to be performed and how.
- Roadmap development to achieve the best business outcome.
- Financial benefit estimates and project costs wherever possible.
- Methodology development and rating of the ICT Sustainability Plan required scorecards (e.g. Desktop energy per end user).
As a result of applying an effective IT efficiency framework, a journey plan was built, highlighting the key transformations and phases that needed to be undertaken to comply with the ICT Sustainability Plan.
Green IT Partners has given a valuable set of guidelines promoting IT efficiency capabilities such as:
- Installation of a PC power management software, which combined to Microsoft SCCM and other monitoring components such as Cisco EnergyWise, will help accurately monitor and provide global and comprehensive reporting on energy consumption.
- Embracing teleworking and videoconferencing as tremendous opportunities to achieve social, environmental and financial benefits. Identification of tools and means to successfully access the necessary work environment and applications from a remote location.
- Cloud Computing, which has many obvious and key benefits such as TCO reduction, operational agility, being accessible from anywhere, scalability and availability. A cloud can be ‘private’, and this makes sense in the Australian government context, to rationalise, consolidate and optimise service delivery and effectiveness by deploying a government-wide private and scalable cloud infrastructure within their internal boundaries.
- Activation of multi-tier storage, compression, thin provisioning and de-duplication in order to expect at least 50% savings on storage space, which will deliver provision for the future.
Climate change poses enormous challenges to the world and the natural disorders, increasing in number and intensity, are the main cause of many humanitarian disasters. “This is the decade we have to act”, says the Climate Commission. Australia is one of the worst performing countries in terms of GHG emission reduction and the Government has now set a price on carbon and provided a clear transition timeline to a low carbon economy.
IT will play a key role in helping meet the sustainability agenda. Green IT can help reduce 15% of GHG emissions by 2020, which is approximately equivalent to Europe carbon footprint.
In most organisations, the largest opportunity to make an environmental and cost savings impact is through energy consumption and Green IT represents therefore a unique value opportunity for your business to keep on thriving in a long-term and competitive fashion.
The key drivers to integrating sustainability into the business strategy are:
- Increasing financial benefits and profitability, by generating tremendous cost savings
- Improving employee morale, by motivating the staff and fulfilling their personal expectations
- Being more attractive to investors and customers, by greening the brand
- Ensuring proactive regulatory compliance
About Green IT Partners Pty Ltd. www.greenit-partners.com
Green IT Partners is a passionate company providing services around technology strategy and roadmap development, to demonstrate how Green IT practices are strongly aligned with business objectives and effectively bring benefits such as operational efficiency, competitiveness, employee and shareholders’ embrace.
Green IT Partners believe that by going through the life cycle with their customers, they can then ensure that the benefits of Green IT can be realised. Also by forming a partnership and becoming a trusted advisor, they will ensure a seamless transition as the organisations adopt the sustainability practices.
Green IT Partners provide a holistic approach to IT efficiency and represent a single point of contact and advisory to access a broader range of products and services. They have a set of carefully selected partners, and are in a position to maximise the financial, social and environmental benefits