iTWire reported on the Cyclo 500 series and stated that it was a “very different approach compared to traditional bike GPS units. In an Australian first, it comes preloaded with bike specific tracks, bike centric turn-by-turn navigation, and points of interest information such as bicycle repair shops. Data is collected from reliable sources including Bicycling Australia to show bike-friendly routes, transitioning seamlessly from streets with bike paths to independent bike paths or even bike-friendly off road bike paths.”
The new features include:
- Phone Compatibility: the Cyclo 500 series are now compatible with iPhone and Android smartphones via Bluetooth 4.0. This allows receipt of incoming phone calls and viewing text messages while on the move. It shows caller ID and the call can be answered and heard (through your Bluetooth headset) or reject the call.
- Music Control: Play, stop, and pause music streamed from your Android or iPhone
- Shimano Di2 Compatible. Connect to Shimano Di2 electronic gears to view current gearing, battery status, and analyse gear data after riding.
- Geo-reference searching – Search nearby tracks and relevant points of interest based on location.
- Indoor trainer control: when connected to an Elite or Tacx ANT+ trainer, the Cyclo can control resistance along with selecting a route whether it be a Surprise Me, address, or past ride, simulating the elevation and profile of the route indoors on your trainer. This new feature is compatible with Elite Digital Qubo, Tacx Bushido, and Genius trainers.
- Added compatibility to more power meter brands – including Quarq, SRM, Cyclops, and Stages.
- Spoken turn-by-turn navigation: via a headset when connected to your smartphone. (Android compatible only)
- “Where Am I” emergency feature – Cyclo can now send a text message to a contact of your precise location including address, longitude and latitude to a nominated person (Android compatible only).
Prices remain as before:
- Cyclo 500 $379
- Cyclo 505 $399
- Cyclo 505HC $479 (includes HR monitor, cadence/speed sensor kit)
“Magellan is the first cycling brand in Australia to introduce so many cool one-of-kind features that cater for the modern cyclist, such as adding text message alerts, music control, and Shimano Di2 gear controlling to the Cyclo 500 range. The best part about it is if you already own a Cyclo 500 device all you have to do is go to magellangps.com.au for the free update and once you have installed it, you will have a plethora of advanced Australian-first cycling features added to your model in minutes,” said Paris Basson, Brand Manager, Magellan Australia/New Zealand.