According to CommVault, it has issued the new release as IT organisations continue to struggle with managing and providing secure access to data that employees create on PCs and mobile devices.
Jeff Echols, Senior Director, Product & Solutions Marketing, CommVault, said the new solution, based on the Simpana singular software platform, was a complete solution for IT to automate protection for laptops and desktops and to provide end users with immediate access to their data, regardless of where it is created.
“With the ability to scale to protect up to 25,000 clients, CommVault Edge technology can meet the needs of even the largest mobile workforces and can be deployed alongside customers’ legacy backup environments.”
“Efficient modern data management technologies, such as CommVault Edge, can empower employees to securely share data across the organisation for better collaboration and productivity, while meeting corporate compliance requirements – in effect, transforming IT into people-centric organisations that deliver more value to the business.”
The latest Edge enhancements include file synchronisation between PCs and native file search through a Microsoft Windows Explorer plug-in that allow organisations to retain control over their data and information while empowering corporate employees to securely share files among their devices.
CommVault lists enhancements provided by the new Edge solution as:
• Edge Sync – Ensures that workers can always get to their most recent files or different versions, regardless of the computer they were created on, via automated synchronisation that shares their work across their laptops and desktops, and allows access to this data from smartphones and tablets. Edge makes data fluid with the intelligence to only run a backup if a file has changed and provides support for different environments and operating systems, such as Windows (including Windows 8), Mac (including v10.8/10.9) and Linux
• Edge Access - Delivers data portability and self-service access to a secure, personal “data cloud.” A new Windows Explorer plug-in for Windows 7 and 8 environments extends Simpana software’s robust search and recovery features including mobile apps, web-based portal and integrated enterprise search. From the single web portal, end users can retrieve and view all of their protected files and e-mail in the Simpana ContentStore, CommVault’s virtual repository of all managed information. The Edge solution provides global access to distributed files and documents without having to resort to consumer-grade file sharing and cloud backup services, which are outside an IT department’s awareness and control
• Edge Protection - Enables efficient, secure and transparent protection for business-critical data on laptops and desktops through source-side deduplication, opportunistic scheduling, bandwidth throttling, flexible policy definition, and the intelligence to run a backup only if a file has changed
• Interoperability with Legacy Backup – CommVault Edge can be deployed side by side with legacy backup products, which provides customers the flexibility to quickly implement a scalable protection solution for their corporate client PCs and maximise their existing technology investments.
• Availability - The new CommVault Edge file synchronisation and search capabilities are available immediately in the Simpana 10 software release. Additionally, the integration of CommVault Edge solutions, with compliance and information governance options that are part of the complete Simpana software platform, enables organisations to transform the way individuals discover, retrieve and use information.