Home Business IT Security Trivially simple denial of service attack for LTE

Subscribe now and get the news that matters to your industry.

* Your Email Address:
* First Name:
* Last Name:
Industry:
Job Function:
Australian State:
Country:
Email marketing by Interspire
weebly statistics

For much less than $1000, you can totally disrupt LTE communications in your neighbourhood.

Let me start by saying that iTWire in no way condones any behaviour based on the research being reported - it is illegal under all manner of legislation. However, being illegal hasn't stopped the bad guys in the past (nor will it in the future), and being aware of possible illegal behaviour better arms the "good guys."

Recent research has starkly shown that as wireless telephony complexity (and speed) increases, the opportunity for disruption also increases. Almost always, disruption is focussed on signal jamming, and this approach is no exception.

As the research by Dr Jeffrey Reed and his Virginia Tech team shows, LTE is reliant upon a continuous stream of control instructions that make up a tiny part (less than 1%) of the overall communications signal, but without which, the remaining 99% cannot be used.

"Your phone is constantly syncing with the base station" to manage the flow of information, whether it be a telephone call or a web page, said Marc Lichtman, co-author the study. "If you can disrupt that synchronization, you[r device] will not be able to send or receive data."

In the submission to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, which is considering the use of LTE-based equipment for first'responders (police, fire, ambulance etc), the team concluded, "These comments describe extremely effective attacks can be realized, using fairly low complexity. It would be in the interest of public safety to take measures to reduce the vulnerability of Public Safety LTE, and lower the likelihood of an effective jamming attack."

The team has identified eight significant weaknesses in the LTE configuration, any one of which could bring all communications to and from a targeted base station to a complete halt.

For those interested, a simple device retailing for as little as $US650 could enable the attack with ease when used in conjunction with any laptop computer.

One hopes that those who continue to advocate a wireless-based alternative to Australia's NBN are paying close attention to research such as this.  Things can only get worse.

PROTECT YOURSELF AGAINST BANDWIDTH BANDITS!

Don't let traffic bottlenecks slow your network or business-critical apps to a grinding halt. With SolarWinds Bandwidth Analyzer Pack (BAP) you can gain unified network availability, performance, bandwidth, and traffic monitoring together in a single pane of glass.

With SolarWinds BAP, you'll be able to:

• Detect, diagnose, and resolve network performance issues

• Track response time, availability, and uptime of routers, switches, and other SNMP-enabled devices

• Monitor and analyze network bandwidth performance and traffic patterns.

• Identify bandwidth hogs and see which applications are using the most bandwidth

• Graphically display performance metrics in real time via dynamic interactive maps

Download FREE 30 Day Trial!

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD!

ITWIRE SERIES - IS YOUR BACKUP STRATEGY COSTING YOU CLIENTS?

Where are your clients backing up to right now?

Is your DR strategy as advanced as the rest of your service portfolio?

What areas of your business could be improved if you outsourced your backups to a trusted source?

Read the industry whitepaper and discover where to turn to for managed backup

FIND OUT MORE!

David Heath

joomla statistics

David Heath has over 25 years experience in the IT industry, specializing particularly in customer support, security and computer networking. Heath has worked previously as head of IT for The Television Shopping Network, as the network and desktop manager for Armstrong Jones (a major funds management organization) and has consulted into various Australian federal government agencies (including the Department of Immigration and the Australian Bureau of Criminal Intelligence). He has also served on various state, national and international committees for Novell Users International; he was also the organising chairman for the 1994 Novell Users' Conference in Brisbane. Heath is currently employed as an Instructional Designer, building technical training courses for industrial process control systems.

Connect